Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Ohio...and a bucket list of mine is to ride my Versys 650 out west. Rocky mountains, Sierra Nevada mountains, Million Dollar Highway in Colorado, deserts of Arizona and New Mexico....things like that. But I don't want to ride all the way from Ohio out west. (which will include all the way back too)

So I'm interested in a trailer to haul the motorcycle out there...then start riding. I'll find a place to store the car & trailer for as long as I'm out there. There's also the option of riding for a day, then always come back to the hotel/campsite/car/trailer.

For months, I've been looking on Craigslist for trailers, and everyone thinks their 20 year old bucket of rusting bolts is worth just a little bit less than a brand new trailer at TSC. Here is a new 5x8 with wooden floor and ramp for $850...and the junk I see on CL is $500+...and often it's been sitting in a field for years. (and often doesn't have a ramp)

My question to the forum is: Am I missing something? Is there a better way to go about this? Renting a motorcycle out there is not an option as I've looked at rental rates...shockingly expensive. UHaul does not sell their old/used motorcycle trailers. Renting the Uhaul motorcycle trailer is not an option. The rental rate is so high that it would cost more to rent than to buy new. (based on perhaps a 2-3 week trip)

Opinions and observations welcome.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
What is your tow vehicle? What else are you going to use the trailer for? Where are you going to store the trailer?

There are simple single rail trailers that come apart and store easily.

There are put it together yourself harbor freight trailers that can fold up to put against a wall in the garage.

Some Kawasaki dealers will let you park in the back parking lot during your trip.

·
Super Moderator
20,089 Posts
I made this trailer from a Harbor-Freight one, for ROUGHLY $250 US PLUS around $50 US for the aluminum ramps, etc, and towed an '09 V650 from Phoenix to Calgary, Alberta, then I sold the trailer for about $700 CDN.

DSC05962 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC05961 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
302 Posts
There's another alternative.

U-Haul rents a motorcycle specific trailer that I used a few years ago to go from Houston to the Arizona/California border area. Well thought out design, sturdy and stable on the interstate. I found it fairly reasonably priced (been a while so I don't remember exactly what I paid). It was the perfect solution for me.

EDIT: It also comes with a ramp (the tailgate).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What is your tow vehicle? What else are you going to use the trailer for? Where are you going to store the trailer?

There are simple single rail trailers that come apart and store easily.

There are put it together yourself harbor freight trailers that can fold up to put against a wall in the garage.

Some Kawasaki dealers will let you park in the back parking lot during your trip.
Tow vehicle is a Toyota Rav4...1500lbs rating. Won't use the trailer for anything else. (At least I don't think so)

I have friends with barns and such where I can store it. (indoors)

As for the Harbor Freight...something like this:

Comes without wood floor. Which would not be a problem to make (with the addition of a front wheel chock). Plus, it would give me the ability to take the boards off, and fold for storage. It doesn't have a ramp, but I can probably get around that with little problem.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Tow vehicle is a Toyota Rav4...1500lbs rating. Won't use the trailer for anything else. (At least I don't think so)

I have friends with barns and such where I can store it. (indoors)

As for the Harbor Freight...something like this:

Comes without wood floor. Which would not be a problem to make (with the addition of a front wheel chock). Plus, it would give me the ability to take the boards off, and fold for storage. It doesn't have a ramp, but I can probably get around that with little problem.
Yes. Watch for a 25% off coupon. If you sign up for their email or flyers there will usually be a 20% off coupon. I used 3/4 plywood, and my ramps were wood and served as my side rails, but I also moved around a riding mower to do MILs yard.

IMG_20140829_065443_761.jpg
IMG_20140829_104752_168.jpg

The U-Haul motorcycle trailer is $15 a day. I didn't look to see if you could rent for 2 days to get out there, and then 2 days to bring it home.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Just a note to say that having a ramp that is fastened to the trailer and folds up and "pins" - will greatly reduce your fuel mileage, even if it is that extruded metal. It is amazing how much drag they have. Also, tilt trailers have the axle farther forward, in order to facilitate the tilt feature. These trailers ride much rougher, due to the axle position - as compared to the non-tilt trailers.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've used the uhaul and I own a 3-rail, have trailered my V650 a few times. The uhaul ramp makes getting the bike up easy, where rail trailer can be precarius depending on height, especially if new to trailering a bike. A longer ramp helps, as does some form of step/box. Hard to balance a running 500# mc on a narrow ramp, and a drop from height with bike landing on you could easily injure you badly. Of course, a moment of whiskey throttle, all sorts of bad stuff can happen. Ed's idea - sell it when you get back is great. IMO, uhaul option (if available, and hitch weight load OK for Rav4) least brain damage, safest way. Uhaul will know if weight is too much, usually. Good luck....

·
Registered
2013 v650
260 Posts
I have the 1700lb. Harbor Freight model. I put down a solid 4' x 8' 3/4" plywood floor. I never plan to fold it up. I have a tri fold tailgate extender/ ramp that I used to load my Concours C-10 on it. With a front tire chalk and tie downs my Rav4 didn't even know it was there. I bought the gate extender ramp to use with a chevy s10 pickup but the truck is gone now and the trailer is its replacement. With the Rav4 I figure I can load about 1000lbs on it and not exceed the 1500 lb rating. Less than $500.00 to buy and put together. I did have to replace the wiring that came with the trailer. I used it in the snow and salt and the wire corroded internally and just pulled apart at every connection. The higher capacity trailer has bigger wheel and tires. You will be able to fold it up if you follow their directions and use two 4'x 4' boards for the deck.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Uhaul will know if weight is too much, usually. Good luck....
The car I towed the trailer with (2011 CRV) had a tow weight capacity of 1500#. The V650 and trailer did not exceed that limit. I hauled it just fine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I used Uhaul's estimator a year or two ago. I must have done something wrong, as I didn't see the $15 per day, and I must have clicked wrong as my quote was a LOT more than $15 per day. At that low rate, I may have to rethink my purchase of a trailer. Especially for the first trip. If I like it and want to continue doing it, I can decide if I want to purchase a trailer at that time. (or just continue to rent a uhaul)

·
Super Moderator
20,089 Posts
Here's a link to the H-F trailer I used for BOTH my trailers [lists @ $299 BEFORE discount]:

As well as getting the 'loading ramp' and 'wheels locator' aluminum pieces made at a metal-working shop [MAYBE $100 US], I mounted a Harbor-Freight front-wheel chock, as well as a spare wheel (H-F AGAIN!) under the tongue area, and I 'moved' the axle about 4" further rearward to set the tongue weight where I wanted it. When not in use, I set it vertically against a garage wall so it took very LITTLE space....

DSC08462 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

(y)(y)

:cool:

·
Registered
421 Posts
So I'm interested in a trailer to haul the motorcycle out there...then start riding. I'll find a place to store the car & trailer for as long as I'm out there.
I have the HF 1,195 lb. capacity trailer with tilt that I use for general haulin. It's been used a couple of times to load up my son's TDM850. It is easy to load and tie down, even without a tire rail. With a little customization, it could easily be a full time motorcycle hauler.

Hit me up when you get closer to your trip, I might be able to play hooky from work for a day or so and take a short ride in the mountains. :D I also have a place that is about an hour SW of Denver near Fairplay that has room to store a vehicle and trailer for a few days while you are riding around Colorado.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Although it doesn't specifically say so, the Uhaul website might be implying it only wants you to use their motorcycle trailer for local moving. The longest the website allows you to rent it is 7 days. That could just be a default of the website. They don't specifically say local only.

Of course if you call and say you want it for two weeks, I'll bet they'll take your money.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hit me up when you get closer to your trip, I might be able to play hooky from work for a day or so and take a short ride in the mountains. :D I also have a place that is about an hour SW of Denver near Fairplay that has room to store a vehicle and trailer for a few days while you are riding around Colorado.
Thanks for the offer. I don't know when it will be. 2022 at the earliest.

·
Registered
129 Posts
There's another alternative.

U-Haul rents a motorcycle specific trailer ........
the Uhaul Trailer is good and very affordable. it is however very heavy. about 900 lbs. so it plus bike is 1450 lbs - ish. I was shocking how much the MPG dropped on my nissan Murano pulling the trailer and bike. I say ride out. I have gone from KY to Colorado many times but. several by car and twice by my Versys. I prefer to go across the plains by Motorcycle by far. Car is so BORING....... on the bike, we start early, like 5 AM. getting in 12 hours of ride time, about 800 miles on first day. Then next day you are in the foot hills by just after lunch and the real fun begins. We were lucky and never hit super heavy rain crossing the plains. that would cause a delay. if you are not familiar with Colorado weather due to elevation change, last September on a single ride we hit 36F at elevation and 86F later that day at lower elevation. The temp drops about 3.5 degrees per 1000 feet of elevation. so the 36 F is the min as we crossed over a pass. So be prepared with layers. one last note. Electronic cruise control makes crossing the plains much more enjoyable. There is great post on this forum about how to add the Rostra CC. I mounted it in place of the CA evap canister behind left fairing. best farkle ever.........

·
Registered
129 Posts
I made this trailer from a Harbor-Freight one, for ROUGHLY $250 US PLUS around $50 US for the aluminum ramps, etc, and towed an '09 V650 from Phoenix to Calgary, Alberta, then I sold the trailer for about $700 CDN.

DSC05962 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC05961 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr
Any issue with the trailer at highway speeds? they claim is only good to I think 45 mph. any truth to that??

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd want it enclosed but your vehicle size prevents that. That's a shame, it would serve as a cheap motel too. I'd buy the trailer and sell it when I got home.

·
Super Moderator
20,089 Posts
Any issue with the trailer at highway speeds? they claim is only good to I think 45 mph. any truth to that??
They're PROBABLY covering their a$$, and putting the SMALLER wheel restriction front-and-center. I got both of mine w/ the bigger wheels.

I PROBABLY pulled it as high as 80 mph....

:cool:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts