Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hadn't experienced it before, but today my wife and I were riding some lesser-used roads and at least three times the lights wouldn't change for us. We ended up just going through all of them while on red and no one else being around.

I read this thread that indicated some states have a "red light grace". I couldn't find anything for Texas, however.

Does anyone know if Texas has such a law? Or am I about to get several tickets in the mail? :thumbdown:

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Don't know the law in Texas. I don't believe there is a law as of yet to make it legal to run it in Virginia.

I just look around and then run it. Have done this for many years.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Make sure you are stopping over the inroad sensors that detect there is a vehicle sitting at the light.
After watching videos on how they work. I park right on the wires and sometimes it still does not help.... even with two bikes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
After watching videos on how they work. I park right on the wires and sometimes it still does not help.... even with two bikes.
Yeah, sometimes its still doesnt help. But its better to try. The cop would be more understanding if you have the honest plea of sitting over the sensors rather than lying.

·
Premium Member
16,106 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Try flashing your high-beam off and on as you approach the signal--night or day.

·
Super Moderator
18,983 Posts
FWIW: I've read of "speed-trap" authorities setting up lights to stay red, then they pull you over for a BIG ticket, so, if you decide to 'run' a red be SURE to look around REALLY well...! :goodluck:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've read about the two gadget solutions above and may have to try them out. At least of the lights was camera-sensor based (don't know what those things are actually called). I'm not sure about the other 2/3. Wonder who I'd call to find out what the law is. I'm sure the last people that would know would be the legislature.

OT: Then today I got a rear flat going down 380 at 60mph. That was an experience ... but maybe another thread. ;) Currently reading the threads on how reliable people think the plug/patches are.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Please explain.
There are some signals (in California at least) that have light sensors built into them. There is one in particular that I know of on my daily commute--flash my high-beam approaching it, light turns quickly, don't flash and it won't change.

·
Registered
842 Posts
OT: Then today I got a rear flat going down 380 at 60mph. That was an experience ... but maybe another thread. ;) Currently reading the threads on how reliable people think the plug/patches are.
OT Reply: If it is in the middle 1/3rd I would plug, if on the sidewalls I wouldn't

·
Premium Member
16,106 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've read about the two gadget solutions above and may have to try them out. At least of the lights was camera-sensor based (don't know what those things are actually called). I'm not sure about the other 2/3. Wonder who I'd call to find out what the law is. I'm sure the last people that would know would be the legislature.

I would take the tire off and put a patch on it WAY before I would use a plug. Putting a patch on the inside is the ONLY way to safely repair a flat motorcycle tire IMO. :cheers:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OT Reply: If it is in the middle 1/3rd I would plug, if on the sidewalls I wouldn't
It's right smack in the middle.

I would take the tire off and put a patch on it WAY before I would use a plug. Putting a patch on the inside is the ONLY way to safely repair a flat motorcycle tire IMO. :cheers:
Are you talking about the mushroom style plugs or is there another kind that's just an internal patch?

Who does work like this? We called Sears, NTB and Pep Boys. None would do it. (Actually, Pep Boys said they would then when we got there they said, "WTF are you doing? We don't do bikes."). Our options were pretty thin on Sunday with all of the dealers closed due to the awesome blue laws we have in Texas.

·
Premium Member
16,106 Posts
I just bought a $10 Slime "top off" pump. Is that thing really worth $100?

Top Off Pump kind of says it all. If i have a flat in the middle of no-where usa. i'd say 100 buck would be cheap insurance. But then you know me "overkill" is not in my vocabulary

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I figure I can "top off" over and over again until it's full. ;) I hope I don't have to use it often, but I'll test it before I ever do a road trip with it. It's about the same size as that one in the picture but made from space-age plastic instead of cheap metal.

·
Premium Member
16,106 Posts
I figure I can "top off" over and over again until it's full. ;) I hope I don't have to use it often, but I'll test it before I ever do a road trip with it. It's about the same size as that one in the picture but made from space-age plastic instead of cheap metal.

Off topic. but didn't you get a lighting kit for your E-52 case. i'm hooking up an admore light kit for the 55 and an admore light bar when i get home next month. i'm taking off a week before i go back to work maybe we can get a ride going. i'm up for anything.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts