Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like my Versys

I am using it as a commuter bike, a lite touring bike and even a sportbike (in the curves anyways).

The bike is reliable, simple to maintain. It's very fuel efficient, very light and had a great suspension. The stiff upside-down forks are great in curves.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2nd generation Yamaha FZ1 with full fairing and sidecases and at a good price.

The FZ1 is almost as light as the Versys and I think the handling should be at least as good and the braking should be better. The power will be better but the fuel economy can't be near as good. I am hopeful that the fairing of the FZ1 will provide better protection than the half-fairing of the Versys even if a little wind is good in the summer. It's one of the rare bikes that I consider as an upgrade for the Versys

My only experience so far with a powerful bike was a 165hp GSXR 1000, rode it one full afternoon in the twisties in Tennessee, very powerfull but by the end of the day I was comfortable... at least with the power because the driving position was torture

I can't afford to keep both bikes so if I get the FZ1 I will sell the Versys.

If I purchase the FZ1 I will miss this forum :(

·
Registered
875 Posts
I own three bikes. Riding a 1000cc sport bike on a 100 degree day during commute hour in stop and go traffic is not fun for me. On those days I ride my KLR and now will ride the Versys. Bikes might be a little like footwear. You got your hiking boots, your running shoes, and tennis shoes. etc etc etc.
Enjoy your new chapter of your riding career!

·
Registered
109 Posts
You might wanna hold on to your versys until your evaluation of the two is made.Two different worlds these two bikes.Unless you are eager for more power I believe you will lose more than you gain.They are closer to 100 lbs difference.The flickability and agility of the Versys you will be missing.Mind you the Fz1 is a very nice bike,I just think the Versys is exceptional.Besides missing this forum I think you'll be missing the V.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My riding buddy has a FZ1.. we just did a 110 mile nonstop freeway ride...he was suffering by the end of it due to the ride position. you may want to hold on to yours till yor sure

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've had 2 Gen1 FZ1's....prior to buying the Versys, they were my favorite bike ever.......That being said, now the Versys is my favorite. You can't use the horsepower difference, and the hp is the only advantage.

Your talking about a gen2 FZ1, much worse ergo's than a gen1, or a Versys....The gen2's are much too "sportbikey" ergo's for me.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Never sell a bike! Be a man and save up and then buy a second bike................
I learned this the hard way!

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
::::
Thanks Invader about info on the FZ8... But I am really worry about the FZ8 frame... I heard it's the same frame as the FZ1.

I owned a 07 FZ1 and the frame cracked right on the welding after 3 months and 5000 plus miles... No wheelie and never drop the bike or abuse of any kind other than riding fast and hard....:p

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
If it were me I'd go for a first gen FZ1. I have ridden one. It is closer to the Versys comfort wise and sitting position. The carburetion is much smoother than the injected gen 2 FZ1 though that can be somewhat addressed. MPG is 40 or less. 26,000 mile valve adjustments. More oil to buy. Nice bike and very fast but if I could do it all over again, I would never have sold my 2002 ZRX1200R. Good luck, this is one of life's tough but fun decisions.:teetertooter:

·
Registered
288 Posts
My riding buddy has a FZ1. He loves it and it is his second bike as he just got an BMW 1000 RR. Now that's a nice bkie!

Hang onto your Versys if you can, different bikes for different rides is a good thing.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Never sell a bike! Be a man and save up and then buy a second bike................
I learned this the hard way!
The cost of the bike isn't the only factor. If you live in Canada, then you are familiar with the cost of insurance up here.

If not, it's a deterrent to owning multiple bikes. I'm paying close to $700 / yr for the Versys (40 yr old male, $1000 deductable, clean record, 12 yr riding experience), and that was the cheapest quote I could get...some were in the $900 - $1000/yr range. Given that we're looking at a 6-7 month riding season, it ain't cheap.

Dave C

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sport bikes and multiple bike ownership

Rode my new Versys all week after buying last weekend. Hopped on my SV1000 today to ride to work. I am glad to own three bikes the Versys is good. The SV1000 is a F'n gas to ride. My 08 KLR650 I'll save mostly for fire roads and dirt riding with the dual sport club. Sorry your Ins. is pricey. Added the Versys to my basic Ins liability & towing policy today. All three bikes for 385$ per year. The way I look at insurance is. If I am in a wreck and its somebody else's fault they pay for damage. If it's my fault I get to pay if I decide to keep the bike. I quess I better not cause a wreck. I don't finance my bikes so I am not required to get a full coverage policy.
The cost of the bike isn't the only factor. If you live in Canada, then you are familiar with the cost of insurance up here.

If not, it's a deterrent to owning multiple bikes. I'm paying close to $700 / yr for the Versys (40 yr old male, $1000 deductable, clean record, 12 yr riding experience), and that was the cheapest quote I could get...some were in the $900 - $1000/yr range. Given that we're looking at a 6-7 month riding season, it ain't cheap.

Dave C

·
Registered
459 Posts
Been eyeing a leftover FZ1 myself. Probably won't do it though. Also has a FJR1300 AE for $12,700; decisions, ditto, ditto???

:>)-

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a gen 2 FZ1S with FCE and Leo Vince slip on. Bike was great but sold it to buy a Moto Guzzi Griso which I got rid of to buy 2010 V. I don't think the gen 2 FZ1 is 100 pounds heavier than the V. Handling wise it was good and the brakes were excellent. I also found it to be very comfortable. The power is in a diff league but as someone has already said, it is too much to use and keep your licence! It really took off when it hit about 7k.

I miss the power sometimes but was recently on a trip with some guys on GS 1200, Tiger 1050 and KTM Adventure 990 and I didn't struggle, just had to work it a litle more. We did 1000 miles in 3 days and it didn't miss a beat.

they are both good bikes, just depends what you want. E

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just got back from a 3 hour ride in the coulees of Western Wisconsin on my Kawi 650. All I can say is ...just back away from the FZ and don't do it. How can you not love the soul of this bike, it is truley something special that you won't get with the FZ.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I do sometimes miss the big hit of horsepower available in the liter class.I just picked up a 01 FZ1 as they appear to be going pretty cheap.($2400)
I was surprised that the weight difference is more in the 60ish lb.difference.
I like the carburetion and centerstand of the 1st gen. and their stripped down no nonsense look.I think that this bike and the rz 350 and xt 225 were the best that the tuning fork company ever put out.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
......Great looking bike though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts