Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Trade in not going well

4K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  sonofnothing 
#1 ·
I have been looking for a new bike and am back to a Versys. I have one now and it is my second one. I have never gone for three of the same bike but the Versys is hard to beat. I have tried to trade in my Versys at four dealers and can't get anything for it even buying the same bike, 2014 or a2015. If I have to keep riding it that's OK but I like buying new stuff.
You would think that they would have a loyalty program, car dealers do. Kawasaki has rebates that make it so dealers don't want your used bike. And it's not just Kawasaki I see this at all the dealers that I stop at. They all want to sell you a bike but now one wants to take a trade unless you you will give them your bike.
I was at a BMW dealer and asked why there used bikes were so high priced. They said that there customers expected more so they had to give more. A month later I tried to trade in my Versys to them. My Versys is in the book for $6500 hear, it has Happy Trails hard bags, Bark Busters, S&W engine guards, seat, etc. You know lots of extras and without a scratch on it. I was offered $3500 in trade on a two year old leftover. I passed and am still driving my Versys. O Ya, it even had a new set of tires on it. Sow much for being a BMW customer.
Has anyone else had the fun of the trade in?
Buz870

#2 ·
I mean if you really want to get a decent price you have to do a private sale. Dealerships need to leave room for profit and always low ball, even on trade-ins.

I have bought and sold around 10 motorcycles on craigslist over the years, with little to no issues.. Also it seems like this would be a desirable bike in your area.

Good Luck!

#3 ·
ya bike dealership (not all but alot of them) seam to have noone who REALLY knows bikes working there so they see any trade in as a potential law suit , and or hassle when someone buys a used bike and something "goes wrong" with it...
noone can understand that something used isnt going to always be perfect but thats why you save so much..(or should be)

if i were you id keep the versys you have and have it as a back up/loaner bike

#4 ·
You would be better off removing all the accessories from the bike and sell them separately on this forum. Accessories have barely perceptible to no impact on resale price.

You will also get slightly more money (with more hassle as well) selling the bike through craig's list or kijiji.

What about a Triumph Tiger 800 XR?

#5 · (Edited)
Funny you should bring up this topic. I am frequently itching for something different, before I convince myself I have what I already need. Last month, I had the urge to sell my VTX. Local dealer was advertising a leftover 2014 WR250R. Figured it might be fun. They have a couple of rough looking, older VTX bikes on their lot for big bucks. I pull in, chat with the salesman, show him my bike. He gets excited, because you could eat off of it, it is so clean. He goes and gets his sales manager, and they go outside to look at my bike together. After 15-20 minutes, he comes and sits back down, and slides a written proposal across the table. His head is hung down, and I know why. I laugh, and get him to make eye contact. He simply says, "I know." Believe it or not, he is a little mad, because he can't override his boss. He knows damn good and well that all they have to do is roll my bike over beside the others, and it is ready to be sold. No reconditioning needed. Heck, it doesn't even need to be washed! Besides, he and I both agree that they could get at least $1500-2000 more for my used VTX, than the MSRP of the leftover WR. Even on an even swap, they would make more money than selling the WR outright. I was willing to pay a little cash money on top, as a good faith gesture. They wanted a big wad of dough difference. The manager got greedy. He wanted to make money off of both bikes. I told the salesman exactly that. He actually agreed, and knew they had just screwed themselves. It's a shop that go to frequently, for parts, accessories, just to walk around sometimes. I plan to continue doing that. I might even go in more often, and on the VTX. Just so they get to stare at that black beauty. If they change their tune, and make me an offer, I will tell them to piss off. They had their chance.

#6 ·
As said, private sale is best. Dealer wants to make a lot, has to sit on it a while, and likely has to help try get someone financing to buy your trade once they have it. After commissions and overhead, it's a tough game. It's hard to feel sorry for the dealer, true.

They probably could make you a good deal to buy a new bike with no trade though.

#8 ·
I have been on both sides. I was a Gen. manager for three Kawasaki dealerships. Now retired. I know a good deal and a bad deal, but when it's just so one way that you would just be making a gift! I get it that when you take something in trade as a dealer you have to pay for it. The new bikes are on floor plan. If I couldn't make a fair deal with a costumer I would just tell him I did not want the trade.
I just wanted to hear if anyone else has noticed this lately. I traded my Versys in last year on a new Versys and thought that I got a fair deal. Not so this year.
Buz870

#9 ·
It the same thing with cars too. Last year we bought the oldest boy a new BMW 535D. He uncle worked at the dealership and we were paying cash so got a super deal. Asked him about a trade using the boys 2006 Xterra and he told me straight up that they don't give squat on trades because they don't even want to mess with them. So we kept it and use it when we need to haul stuff.

#10 ·
That's not bad. I was offered $4800 for my 2012 Concours on a 2014 leftover Triumph Trophy. They would have rather sold me the bike outright, but they wanted to tack on $1700 in fees. That does not include tax, tag, title. I walked. Guess I will just ride the craps out of it and then park it.

#11 ·
Just forget dealers for selling used bikes to. The food chain is OEM, Dealer, and no one else to make it through lean times.

Craigslist, Craigslist, Craigslist.

The only problem is you need to be liquid in cash to own 2 bikes for a period. Read my lips, GOOD deals sell quick, within the hour! Holding an unused bike is inventory carrying (total) cost, usually about 30% of value per year.
Add up to 8% for cash value makes it 38%/year costs just sitting there maintaining it for a sizable loss. Subtract 38% from your asking price and that should be near rock bottom. If it isn't, smell the coffee.

I'm going to ride mine until the wheels fall off, and then ride it some more. Usually people who sell have a GOOD reason, and it's hard figuring out why: things keep popping up and costing you more. ymmv

#15 ·
Craigslist, Craigslist, Craigslist.

Read my lips, GOOD deals sell quick, within the hour!
I used Craigslist for the first time a few weeks back. Inherited a lawn tractor that was too big for my needs. Had it there less than an hour before I got an email. Drove it over a half hour later. Within two hours of listing it was cash. I like that site. No idea how they make the money to keep it going.

#16 ·
At least 95% is overpriced junk, but less than 5% moves within a couple of hours - you never see the ads. It's tough to find something good, but easy to get rid of something good.

Some rubes think they are going to get rich off selling junk: it's the only laughter while looking at thousands of ads weeks straight for a main transportation vehicle. I hate it, but eventually, you will find something and it is valuable if you work hard as a buyer. For sellers, Cash is King! :thumb:

#17 · (Edited)
Just a suggestion but on Kijiji.ca and I think craigslist.com you can set up email alerts on a search keyword like say "Versys 650". You'll get an email as soon as someone posts a new matching ad. Having bought and sold a few used bikes I find what works best pricing wise is to get a few trade in values from dealers. The best one will be the absolute bottom "surrender" value with all accessories removed. Then get the Kelly Blue book value you can look up online and use it as the asking price. The Blue Book value is what a dealer can possibly get for a pristine used bike sold in their show room. Too high an asking price will limit responses to the ad and just waste your time not to mention your ad will stand out among the over priced competition as a deal. I find most asking prices are just wishful thinking on the part of the seller and not based on anything but hope or the similarly priced ads that have been posted. Most of these over priced bikes will sit on the market for a year not selling before their frustrated seller trades them to a dealer or ends up selling below value. Private sellers probably won't get the Blue Book value though and will need to sell slightly less. Also remove and sell separately all accessories online, like this forum, or offer separately to buyer, as buyers never seem to properly value accessories for what they are worth, when attached to the bike. This also allows you to ask a lower and much more attractive asking price. Also prices vary widely by season. Selling prices are always higher at the start of the season and lowest October-January.

#18 ·
Trading can be tough. Having worked at a Kawi dealer in sales for a couple of years I know. I went off of Nada guides trade in prices and for a decent bike that I thought I could move I would probably be in the middle range. The trade values are substantially lower then retail. Many times I had to tell customers I didn't want their trade or couldn't give them squat for it. The Versys wasn't a good seller at our dealership. A case in point is we had a leftover 2013 on the floor which I was trying to move at five grand with little luck,so if someone comes in with a Versys to trade I'm not going to be real excited about taking it in. Inventory of used bikes and leftovers will affect your trade value at any dealer. I had a good out at out dealership as we did consignment sales for customers which didn't tie up our working capital. I usually would be happy with making $500 on a trade in. It doesn't take much to lose money on a bad trade. I was a little different then most sales people as I was totally honest with my customers. I also had total control of my deals and didn't have to play the let me talk to my manager game or any other BS. Glad I got out of it a couple of months ago now I can actually go riding!:yeahsmile:

#19 ·
Craigslist can vary here in my area. I like to buy and flip bikes after a little work & cleaning.
Sometimes I'll make a quick sale but also some times folks want to trade a couple goats and a pig.

I have to agree with an above post, strip it back down to stock & sell the parts here......always a buyer for farkles. The bike will move quicker if it's cheaper to both an individual or dealership.
If you can get close to the number you want trading in it's sure worth not having someone coming over to your house plus you'll save a little cash on taxes by trading in. :goodluck:

That being said........talk to me twowheeladdict, I might be interested in your Connie!

Dan

#20 ·
Thanks for the info. I know that I have options and if I don't trade it I will just keep riding it. Actually I have had a hard time finding anything to replace my Versys. It is really a great bike. I just like to buy something new once or more a year. I might just keep it and buy a on-off road to go with it.
It is funny that in America a bike this good is not cool or popular. Maybe the new one with the Ninja facelift will change this a little.
I was talking to Carl Parker (he is the editor of ATV moto mag.) two years back. He road a 2008 I think, every ware and he really road dirt. His was really set up well with spoke wheels and a 19" front tire and knobby tires. He had nothing but good to say a bought the Versys and neither do I.
870Buz

#21 ·
It's hard to sell a motorcycle for any money when they're so cheap new. It's easy to get a V or V-strom for 3-4k with accessories on the used market, really. So, a dealer is out of the question. They won't bother offering you anything, because it'll be like 1500 max. Sad, but true.

Your V doesnt value at 6500 for dealer trade in, but private sale, most likely. I bought a 2011 (1 year leftover) for 6500 sticker, so.... came to just under 8k out the door. And accessories aren't going to bring the trade in value up, either. sell it privately.

Here's a good one I learned from a BMW X3 owner. With all the electrical problems and BS with the dealer with his car, he told me this; "I learned what BMW stands for, since owning my own. 'Bring Money With you.'"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.