Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
I mentioned in an earlier post about moving the axle as far to the rear as possible. Here's a picture of the one I did.

Hi FastEddie

Which trailer did you get? I remeber you added the checkerplate, but did the front & rear wheel locks come with it or are they extras too?

Happy New Year all:cheers::cheers::sleeping:

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts
Hi FastEddie

Which trailer did you get? I remeber you added the checkerplate, but did the front & rear wheel locks come with it or are they extras too?

Happy New Year all:cheers::cheers::sleeping:
I bought the one that's about 36"W x 40 or 48"L. The front wheel chock is from H-F, while I made the rear one (and the 'rail') from aluminum. I mounted the spare under the tongue. Once I'd moved the wheels (pretty sure I got it with 12" wheels) to the rear, it towed GREAT!!! (Before, there was NO tongue weight so it was scary - ONLY tried it for about a mile...!)

·
Registered
842 Posts
I bought the one that's about 36"W x 40 or 48"L. The front wheel chock is from H-F, while I made the rear one (and the 'rail') from aluminum. I mounted the spare under the tongue. Once I'd moved the wheels (pretty sure I got it with 12" wheels) to the rear, it towed GREAT!!! (Before, there was NO tongue weight so it was scary - ONLY tried it for about a mile...!)

Thanks

By the look of it you got one of these and one of these plus the checker plate and the channel for the rear tire and loading ramp. :thanx:

I am very tempted to follow your example.

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts
Thanks

By the look of it you got one of these and one of these plus the checker plate and the channel for the rear tire and loading ramp. :thanx:

I am very tempted to follow your example.
You are right - those are what I bought (DON'T forget the 12" wheels...!). I made the rear wheel brackets out of aluminum L pieces that I bolted to the checker-plate after drilling TWO sets of holes, so as to accommodate the KLR's rear as well as the 180/55 on my Bandit, in the event I needed to haul it. When I decided to buy, and keep, a Versys in AZ instead of hauling the KLR both ways, I sold the trailer for (cough, cough) SEVERAL $$$ more than I put out to buy and build it :goodidea::topsecret:!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I mentioned in an earlier post about moving the axle as far to the rear as possible. Here's a picture of the one I did.
May I ask why you moved the axle as far back as possible? How does that affect the tongue weight? I am about to install a hitch on my car and probably buy this one, but I have no clue on tongue weight and how to determine that. I know the hitch that I am buying is 200lb tongue weight, but how does the placement of the axle on the trailer affect it?

·
Registered
2013 v650
214 Posts
It has to do with the center of gravity. If all of the load is forward of the axle the tongue weight will be higher. If the weight is centered over the wheels or just slightly behind the wheels there could be NO tongue weight. The tongue weight will affect the handling of the trailer. There is a recommended percentage of tongue weight to total weight, I think it is about 10%. 200 lb tongue weight 2,000 lb trailer weight limit.

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts
...It has to do with the center of gravity. If all of the load is forward of the axle the tongue weight will be higher. If the weight is centered over the wheels or just slightly behind the wheels there could be NO tongue weight. The tongue weight will affect the handling of the trailer. There is a recommended percentage of tongue weight to total weight, I think it is about 10%. 200 lb tongue weight 2,000 lb trailer weight limit....
Near as I remember (I did THAT trailer back in 2011), it was EXACTLY that. At the "stock" axle location there was VERY LITTLE tongue weight.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts