Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to move again....this time it's a real slog...from Oregon to Florida...I have a VW pickup and the bed/camper area will have to be used for household effects. I've seen these devices that allow you to affix the front wheel to the step bumper and tow. I'm on a serious (arent we all) budget so a trailer is pretty much out of my price range right now. Any and all suggestions welcome and thanks for an awesome site! :feedback:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that was going to be my next question ....necessary chain removal

·
Registered
466 Posts
Harbor Freight has several very cheap trailers starting at 199.99, they have several stores in Oregon. You could buy a trailer, tow the bike to Florida and then sell the trailer quick on Craigs list. This would be cheaper and saver than a bumper hitch. Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Check U Haul on both hitches and trailers. They normally would not charge for one way since you are going from/to popular spots. or,

Weld up a pocket for the fork bottoms that will bolt/clamp to the bumper. Remove front wheel and drop forks in a pocket or perhaps use the axle bolt through the welded up bracket. Strap down handlebars to side of pickup. Haul!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I rented a U-Haul motorcycle trailer and it worked well. You would even have some room for you personal effects on the trailer, but I am not sure that they do one-way rentals. Only certain locations handle them, but if you can get one they are only $15 a day. There is a nook in the front of the trailer for the front wheel, a ramp and tie-downs in the trailer.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Oops U-haul is not an option. from their web site "Only available for In-town rentals and must be returned to the location from which it was rented" I would give them a call anyway. Maybe they have one too many in OR and short one in FL. BTW trailering the bike with the rear tire down might mean a new rear tire by the time you reach FL. Good luck with the move.

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
Harbor Freight has several very cheap trailers starting at 199.99, they have several stores in Oregon. You could buy a trailer, tow the bike to Florida and then sell the trailer quick on Craigs list. This would be cheaper and saver than a bumper hitch. Good luck!
What Pegasus said: I bought a Harbor Freight trailer ($240???), towed my bike home, then covered the 'deck' with aluminum 'checker-plate', and sold it for $650 (or a bit more?). :goodluck:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THANKS GENTS! AS USUAL, AN AWESOME GROUP! I'M PROBABLY GOING TO GO WITH THE SMALLER HARBOR FREIGHT RIG AND BUILD A TIRE RAIL AFTER I SHEET IT IN PLYWOOD. LOOKS AS THOUGH I MAY HAVE A FEW INCHES HANGING OFF THE FRONT AND BACK EDGES IF WHEELBASE MEASUREMENTS ARE ACCURATE.
A LITTE "MCGUYVERING" OUGHT TO YIELD A STURDY RIG.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND MOTORING TO ALL!

:thumb:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
What Pegasus said: I bought a Harbor Freight trailer ($240???), towed my bike home, then covered the 'deck' with aluminum 'checker-plate', and sold it for $650 (or a bit more?). :goodluck:
What did you think of the Harbor Freight trailer. I have considered buying one, but was sure if it would hold up.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
Rick,
When I did mine (48"x36", near as I remember), there was NOT enough tongue weight UNTIL I moved the axle to the rear as much as possible - probably 12" or so. I used the last hole in the frame rails and drilled another. Worked like a DAMN once I did that!:goodluck: Towed my KLR650 from Mesa, AZ back to Didsbury, Alberta on it - 1700 miles over 2 1/2 days
Cheers,
Ed

·
Registered
42 Posts
Buy the trailer. Build the tire rail out over the tongue aways for length and weight distribution. If have to write off a rear tire from towing vs selling the trailer for a small loss, the trailer would be cheaper. Not to mention if you have a lapse of concentration and back up with the bike being towed on the ground could cause major damage to the bike if/when the bike jack knifes. Buy a spare tire, so you won't need one :)

Good luck on your move to FL. Where in FL are you moving to?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Bob

Well I'll be in Citrus County at Crystal River for starters and then maybe back down sarasota/Venice area. where are you located?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey Rik, next county from citrus...im in Levy.
have to plan a ride after you get settled in...welcome to Florida.

·
Registered
76 Posts
yea I would go the harbor freight option too cost same or less than have to worry about damage and rear tire replacement once you get here.

and glad to see another V in Florida we are going to have to get a local ride here soon I see it coming.....

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
I mentioned in an earlier post about moving the axle as far to the rear as possible. Here's a picture of the one I did.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts