Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try this? Any ideas to fabricating a hitch? Looks pretty involved?

I've been thinking about trying to haul my ww kayak, and a small trailer seems like the best idea. You see the big dressers with them, just wondering about the Versys.

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
774 Posts
Don't some trailers run a bolt through the axle? Seems like you could rig something up as long as you keep the weight low and don't go crazy.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Just FYI: I met some guys when I was kayaking the Numbers on the Arkansas River who had trailered their kayaks over from Crested Butte, CO behind their bikes. We thought it was a cool idea, but those guys said that trailering like that took most of the fun out of motorcycling. :(

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope no Subaru's here, just Chevy Trucks.

I put about 10k miles on my Versys a year so I'm sure I could give up some fun play time on the bike to haul my kayak to the local playspot. I'm not looking to make any long distance trips, have good paddling within an hour or so, just thinking of another way to get more use of the Versys and let my truck sit in the garage.

Just poking around at this point, but thanks for the ideas...

Mike

·
Registered
738 Posts
If you need a trailer, you are hauling too much crap with you. I drove a Harley FLHTCU with a trailer, and all it does it throw you around and make driving the bike miserable. Just get a trailer for your truck and haul the kayak and bike to where ever you are going. The Versys is not built to have a hitch put on it. It is too small and too weak. BAD BAD BAD idea.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Motorcycling is dangerous enough. Imagine if the kayak gets nailed by a car that doesn't "see" or expect a kayak being towed by a motorcycle. Use your truck, unless it's a Ford. J/K.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I haul my dirt bikes and atv around behind my car all the time. If I could do it with the Versys I would. Much more fun on the bike no matter where you are heading.

·
Registered
303 Posts
yeah I see injury potential in an airborne kayak

·
Registered
202 Posts
Do you not have Subaru's in PA?
I knew it had to be someone from the Northwest before I even looked at the upper right hand corner for your location. You apparently don't see many Subaru's back east., at least I didn't when I visited Boston area, So Georgia and Florida.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
What kind of kayak you are thinking of trailering with the bike. Pulling an 40 pound 8' x 2' piece of plastic with a versys sounds suicidal. If its on its side it will be like a sail in cross winds. Flat it has a good chance to become road kill.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
I agree with Motopsycho. Putting a short trailer behind a heavy H-D dresser is one thing...but a kayak behind a V is a very bad idea.

FWIW, While likely to have been motivated by their legal department...Harley-Davidson has gone on record as discouraging the use of trailers with their motorcycles. A basic application of physics will demonstrate that a trailer can create significant adverse affects on motorcycle stability.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts

1 - 20 of 28 Posts