21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'm glad to see this forum still has an entertainment value... while some say it's a waste of time, I welcome it. Maybe we should start a lube thread.

Related: After some thought and a few conversations with people more experienced than myself, I repaired the tire. After monitoring pressure over time and seeing no change, I put a couple hundred miles on, only seeing the expected changes in pressure due to riding and tire temperatures. Continuing to monitor pressure as we all should.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try returning it as a defective tire for an exchange. It is still unused... "Tires aren't supposed to rip apart in your hands like that!." 🤬

It is of a very poor molding quality. You can see the fabric through the rubber which is quite appalling. I also don't like that mold line on the sealing surface which would prevent a good seal even if you would try to install it.
This is my thought also. That shouldn't happen. It's a flaw in the tire.

I've put a couple of sets of Shinko 009 Ravens on my Versys using Windex as tire lube.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm glad to see this forum still has an entertainment value... while some say it's a waste of time, I welcome it. Maybe we should start a lube thread.

Related: After some thought and a few conversations with people more experienced than myself, I repaired the tire. After monitoring pressure over time and seeing no change, I put a couple hundred miles on, only seeing the expected changes in pressure due to riding and tire temperatures. Continuing to monitor pressure as we all should.
Good, I would use that tire without worry..The bead is fine,its just a bit of rubber that is torn away.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The rear I attempted this morning, and it was a bear. So much so that I realized I tore the rubber. I suspect my technique is to blame. Should have gotten the tire warmer, used more lube perhaps.
soapy water in a spray bottle is not proper tire lube, and using a heat gun to warm a tire doesn't work either. Shinko 705s are not that difficult to mount.
Just installed a new rear for the first time too. I took JDRocks' advice and went with a tire lube (Bead Don).

Tire went on so easily. In fact, I've had far more trouble installing mountain bike tires than this one. Mine was a Metzeler 01 SE, so not sure if they are known to be an easy tire to mount, or whether it was the tire lube that did the trick!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts