Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time changing my tires. Front went on a few days ago; no problems.

The rear I attempted this morning, and it was a bear. So much so that I realized I tore the rubber. I suspect my technique is to blame. Should have gotten the tire warmer, used more lube perhaps.

So... did I just create an expensive tire changing practice tool? Safe to mount and ride or replace? I'm going to try again and see if it holds air but... not worth a tire failure on the freeway.

Live and learn. Ugh. Trip in 10 days so I need to get this sorted asap!

Thanks in advance.

Tire Wheel Hand Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Update... tried again, with better technique. Tire went on no problem. Which is great... and even more frustrating hahahaha. No bubbles at the tear area; the tear is not visible when the tire is mounted; it is behind the rim but still... curious what you guys think.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I’d be checking the pressure before, during and after the next few rides. If it isn’t leaking, don’t worry about it. If it is…

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
From that one picture, and not being a tire designer, it appears that is a glued in piece that is not structural. It appears to be there for a good air seal to the rim.

If that is true, you could either use some rubber cement to glue it back down, or just use it as-is. If it holds air pressure, it is doing its job.

Now that could be a totally wrong assessment!

If it were me, I would replace it for your upcoming trip out of an abundance of caution. That gives time to fully investigate what is going on and whether it is usable.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The bead is wrapped by plies, not just a glued on rubber bit on the outside of the structure.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
The rear I attempted this morning, and it was a bear. So much so that I realized I tore the rubber. I suspect my technique is to blame. Should have gotten the tire warmer, used more lube perhaps.
soapy water in a spray bottle is not proper tire lube, and using a heat gun to warm a tire doesn't work either. Shinko 705s are not that difficult to mount.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
and how about WD40 as a tire lube?
nope.

tire lube is a product manufactured specifically for mounting/demounting tires. take your pick, could be liquid, could be gel, but it's for tires. it's cheap, i'll never understand why folks don't use it.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Just going by memory....te first time I changed & ruined a tire on my V.
It took an hour of cursing and abt 65 psi to seat the bead.
After getting the proper tools & lube, it was a 10 min tire swap & the bead seated at less than 35 psi.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep. I tried again and it took all of 5 minutes. The tire holds pressure. Took a short spin; I forgot how different the larger tires make the bike feel.

My original question still stands; ordering another tire. I’m figuring this tire is not usable but I’m curious if anyone has done this and used the tire anyway.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
and how about WD40 as a tire lube?
It is an effective and very popular choice, and is much better than water and dish soap for your alloy rims... I've used it to do mine once or twice, as I didn't have any genuine tire lube in stock.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
a fellow Versys rider brought his bike and a new set of Shinko 705s by the shop for a tire change. we changed the tires on that bike in 30 minutes, and that was demounting/mounting the wheels, not just changing tires. no, we didn't use a tire machine, the work was all by hand. don't make a tire change hard work.

RuGlyde, $16/gallon at NAPA. put it in a spray bottle, forget the swab applicator. the tire lube gets used liberally for both off and on.

i carry a small amount of gel tire lube on the bike for long trips.

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts
I've mounted tires for my V650s using 'tire lube', dish-soap, "personal-lube" [KY Jelly], as well as WD40, and they ALL worked PDG!

ANOTHER method that is DEADLY EASY (once you put about 24 zip-ties on) is the ZIP-TIE method.

IMG_0269 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you are having trouble seating the bead, put a strap around the center of the tire tread, when it is on the rim and tighten the strap as much as you can. When you apply the air pressure the strap restricts the tire from growing and forces the bead to seat easier. Many try to use too small of an air volume to seat the tires. You don't need a lot of pressure but you do need volume. Lube is certainly your friend. Make sure you check the rim area as the tire has a raised rib that sits just above the rim. You want that rib to be the same all the way around the tire.
As to the tire in question, I wouldn't run it. Life is too short.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
First time changing my tires. Front went on a few days ago; no problems.

So... did I just create an expensive tire changing practice tool? Safe to mount and ride or replace? I'm going to try again and see if it holds air but... not worth a tire failure on the freeway.

Live and learn. Ugh. Trip in 10 days so I need to get this sorted asap!

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 184069
Try returning it as a defective tire for an exchange. It is still unused... "Tires aren't supposed to rip apart in your hands like that!." 🤬

It is of a very poor molding quality. You can see the fabric through the rubber which is quite appalling. I also don't like that mold line on the sealing surface which would prevent a good seal even if you would try to install it.

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts
i hope you had the garage door closed, in the States you could get arrested for fooling around like that.
Dave - it was done here in Canuckistan, so I believe I'm in line for the "Order-of-Canada"....

;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts