3. Smooth riding the Pridmore way
4. Total control
5. Sport riding techniques

6. Cornering confidence
7. The motorcycle shifting handbook
8. A twist of the wrist 2
9. Tarmac Tactics (Ebook only)

Recommend your favourites to me I'm always looking for more! 😊
My favorite is Two-Stroke Tuners Handbook by Gordon Jennings. A very old and very technical book on two stroke engines.

Thanks for sharing your list!

·
Super Moderator
20,751 Posts
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
I've carried "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" on EACH of my long, multi-day rides, and read a few chapters each night before sleeping.

I get something NEW each read.

(y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Ah, a post topic that's close to my heart- I'm a book junkie.

I have a fair-sized collection of motorcycle books (40+) including riding tutorials: David Hough's series of street riding skills, Twist of the Wrist (poorly written, not the best book), etc. Plus adventure stories: The Motorcycle Diaries by Che Guevara, Ron Ayers Ironbutt series, Jupiters Travels, the Long Way series and a whole lot of motorcycle marques and classic bikes through the years. Also the biographies and autobiographies, outlaw clubs etc.

My favourites, however, are books by photographers and about motorcycle culture: The Bike Riders by Danny Lyons, Rockers by Johnny Stuart, Cafe Racers of the 60s by **** Walker. Mostly out of print and first editions are valuable.

My wish list includes Paul D'Orleans books, principally Ton Up! which I'm ordering shortly. If any inmates here wish to donate to my library, feel free to order the rest of his books for me!

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I recommend every new rider read all the books by David Hough "Proficient Motorcycling" series, and "Street Strategies".
I also recommend "Total Control" by Lee Parks.

Becoming aware of the hazards we face as motorcyclists before we experience them ourselves can make the difference between avoidance and damage to our bikes and pride.

I had to learn the hard way because I wasn't aware of any training or books when I started out.

·
Super Moderator
20,751 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I'd like to also have some of the old books by Ed Hertfelder (The Duct Tapes), but I just checked online and they're $pendy collectables now. I enjoy funny writers and Ed is one of the best when the topic is motorcycles.

John Burns Bitter Little Man columns in Motorcylist magazine were funny too. I have a scanned copy of one of his best: Striking an Insignificant Yet Emotionally Rewarding Blow for Democracy, a hilarious bit about a guy on a chopper trying to keep up with Burns on an R6. Truly laugh out loud stuff, the funniest article I've read. If anybody wants to read it PM me- I don't want to break copyright law.

To arknt: agreed, Kevin Cameron is a very good technical writer.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes that's a good book but not really about motorcycles it's more about internal reflection, mental health and personalities.
The title and question you posed were pretty open ended. If you made a list of "top car/automobile movies" what would be on that list - just movies about technique and mechanics?

FWIW, I also think motorcycles themselves are very much related to "internal reflection, mental health and personalities."

Carry on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.