Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2019 Versys -X 300 as a first bike and I am trying to decide what luggage would best suit my needs. I'm primarily looking at day trips and something to store riding gear (e.g. jacket, helmet, etc) once I reach my destination. I want something waterproof and multi-purpose I can easily use as luggage for weekend trips off of the bike, as well. I've pretty much settled on using a duffle bag as a tail bag. They're cheaper and versatile. I want the opinion of those who are experienced. Do you prefer top loading bags or side loading? Also, what's a good size? I want something that's big enough without being too big and bulky.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
A waterproof tail bag is probably, dollars for dimensions, the best piece of luggage you can have. I use a Bags Connection 35L dry bag. It's a top loading roll top dry bag, fully waterproof, lots of room, million ways to secure it to the bike, and easy to use as luggage off the bike. I paid $105 several years ago. I prefer top loading side cases (I have the factory 28 L Kawi side cases now) but used Givi E21s for years. E22 is the newer top loading version. They are VERY economical compared to other side cases, though they are quite a bit smaller too. Well made, great price, and perfect for commuting and running errands. If you want to store gear and helmets though, you'd need to get bigger side cases or more likely consider a good sized top case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently fitted Shad 23l panniers to my X300. When parked up, these host on one side: trousers and the other: jacket (Spada Marrakech kit). Also recently I swapped out my massive 46l kappa Garda top box for a smaller and leaner 30l givi e300n2 - this fits my peaked helmet (Bell MX9) nicely… I also truck around a small tool kit, waterproof over trousers, high vis vest, phone mount etc in the side cases - this stuff ‘all fits’ even with the riding gear, so I’m sorted when off the bike!

Adventuring, I’ll make use of an Overboard dry bag on the pillion seat to add capacity for tent etc (plus backpack) - but obviously whilst riding all the boxes are ‘free’ for storage too. I thought about weight distribution mainly (this bike has a rather light ‘allowed’ capacity), hence dropping the massive 46l tub (which weighed 4kg empty) in favour of the smaller boxes. Bags are obviously your lightest choice.

Security was my main driver to go for boxes instead of bags - but good sense prevails there! Boxes are less likely to be slashed/pinched but of course can still be compromised - I imagine a plastic case is a tad more of a deterrent than fabric.

Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A waterproof tail bag is probably, dollars for dimensions, the best piece of luggage you can have. I use a Bags Connection 35L dry bag. It's a top loading roll top dry bag, fully waterproof, lots of room, million ways to secure it to the bike, and easy to use as luggage off the bike. I paid $105 several years ago. I prefer top loading side cases (I have the factory 28 L Kawi side cases now) but used Givi E21s for years. E22 is the newer top loading version. They are VERY economical compared to other side cases, though they are quite a bit smaller too. Well made, great price, and perfect for commuting and running errands. If you want to store gear and helmets though, you'd need to get bigger side cases or more likely consider a good sized top case.
Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I recently fitted Shad 23l panniers to my X300. When parked up, these host on one side: trousers and the other: jacket (Spada Marrakech kit). Also recently I swapped out my massive 46l kappa Garda top box for a smaller and leaner 30l givi e300n2 - this fits my peaked helmet (Bell MX9) nicely… I also truck around a small tool kit, waterproof over trousers, high vis vest, phone mount etc in the side cases - this stuff ‘all fits’ even with the riding gear, so I’m sorted when off the bike!

Adventuring, I’ll make use of an Overboard dry bag on the pillion seat to add capacity for tent etc (plus backpack) - but obviously whilst riding all the boxes are ‘free’ for storage too. I thought about weight distribution mainly (this bike has a rather light ‘allowed’ capacity), hence dropping the massive 46l tub (which weighed 4kg empty) in favour of the smaller boxes. Bags are obviously your lightest choice.

Security was my main driver to go for boxes instead of bags - but good sense prevails there! Boxes are less likely to be slashed/pinched but of course can still be compromised - I imagine a plastic case is a tad more of a deterrent than fabric.

View attachment 189499
Thank you!

·
Registered
615 Posts
I use a small Pelican-style top box; it stays on the bike most of the time and holds more than I need. For extended trips, I use the box and a drybag on the pillion seat for anything else. If I still need more, for example if I'm camping, I add a set of small softbags on the sides. I find a modular approach like this keeps the bike streamlined, and for me most of my riding doesn't demand side cases.

I use a cargo net to secure my drybag; one extra benefit is it is a great back rest if I want to sit back and relax.

I prefer top-loading cases.

If going with fabric/soft bags... waterproof is a good thing. The drybag I use doubles as a backpack; I can grab it and throw it on my back when I arrive.

Also... don't underestimate the versatility of a small tank bag. Super useful.

Tire Wheel Plant Property Cloud

Topbox + Drybag + Tankbag. This was what I used for my Iron Butt ride. 4 days total riding.

Wheel Cloud Tire Sky Water

Just the Topbox and Tankbag. Drybag was back at the Bnb.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use a small Pelican-style top box; it stays on the bike most of the time and holds more than I need. For extended trips, I use the box and a drybag on the pillion seat for anything else. If I still need more, for example if I'm camping, I add a set of small softbags on the sides. I find a modular approach like this keeps the bike streamlined, and for me most of my riding doesn't demand side cases.

I use a cargo net to secure my drybag; one extra benefit is it is a great back rest if I want to sit back and relax.

I prefer top-loading cases.

If going with fabric/soft bags... waterproof is a good thing. The drybag I use doubles as a backpack; I can grab it and throw it on my back when I arrive.

Also... don't underestimate the versatility of a small tank bag. Super useful.

View attachment 189509
Topbox + Drybag + Tankbag. This was what I used for my Iron Butt ride. 4 days total riding.

View attachment 189510
Just the Topbox and Tankbag. Drybag was back at the Bnb.
Nice! I have considered a tank bag. I haven't decided one way or another about it. Thank you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts