Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What in the Hell purpose does the lamp on top of the headlight stack on a 2010 serve? It is not bright enough to do much good. A really bright conspicuity LED would be nice there instead.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
What in the Hell purpose does the lamp on top of the headlight stack on a 2010 serve? It is not bright enough to do much good. A really bright conspicuity LED would be nice there instead.
I asked the dealership when I bought mine and the sales guy told me it is a "running light". Similar to cars, the running light is less intense than the headlight.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I was told it is a running light and noticed that it comes on when you lock the forks with the lights on, so it might be a safety feature. Since putting on my large CalSci windshield, I noticed the light reflects into my eyes at night which is really annoying, so I will be adding a switch or relay to it so it won't be on when the headlight is on.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The headlight is often more directional than a running light. Ive noticed the running light on some other bikes and thought it was a good idea. More is gooder, safety first. Oncoming traffic turning left is a major cause of motorcycle crashes so I appreciate every little bit.

·
Premium Member
7,782 Posts
WASHINGTON A government agency wants to turn down the brightness of daytime running lights in new autos after receiving hundreds of complaints about glare.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration plans within two years to cut the maximum light intensity allowed for the front safety lights on new vehicles to roughly half that allowed now. In four years, the intensity would be reduced to a quarter of … http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-4453017.html

Now you should have some idea why its dim:p

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
WASHINGTON A government agency wants to turn down the brightness of daytime running lights in new autos after receiving hundreds of complaints about glare.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration plans within two years to cut the maximum light intensity allowed for the front safety lights on new vehicles to roughly half that allowed now. In four years, the intensity would be reduced to a quarter of … http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-4453017.html

Now you should have some idea why its dim:p
That sounds like a crock!!!!
Your iris's are already closed down cuz of the day light.
these complaint must be from folk that can't drive at night when all headlights would be not only'glaring' but truely blinding as well..
NO OFFENSE BUT...i WONDER OF THE COMPLAINTS COME FROM OLDER FOLK.

·
Registered
291 Posts
You can always pull the bulb if it bothers you that much. Living near Chicago with its horrible drivers I may add some LEDs as well. If it helps me be seen I'll take it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
You might also want to consider a headlight "modulator". It definitely makes the bike more conspicuous, without a blinding light. Only legal to use in day light in the U.S. I put one on my 09 V and have a fair amount of evidence that other drivers take note, more than before the modulator. I used the Diamond Star modulator http://www.customdynamics.com/signal_dynamics_diamond_star_headlight_modulator.htm It has an optical switch that automatically turns the modulator off at night.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts