Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought 08 Versys, have owned many bikes mostly vtwins just sold a Vmax. Has anyone been able to extend the top end of the Versys, suprisingly the bike pulls hard then dies off. Whats up with that.

·
Registered
429 Posts
It's tuned for low end torque. Some guys are fitting a 16t front sprocket for longer legs. Try short shifting, the bike is faster if you don't let it rev past 8k or so. I bet you'll grow to like it, but I think you could fit some Ninja 650r cams.

·
Registered
99 Posts
they put shorter duration cams in the versys ... compared to the ninja 650 ... enhanced low and mid range ... falls on its face on top end power ... you could buy the cams out of a ninja650 ... and bump the compression to compensate for the longer duration ... to achieve the ninja 650 top end HP ... personally ... I think Kawasaki nailed the cam configuration for the versys in its tended use ... I toped out at 128 mph speedo indicated .. on level ground ... bone stock .. tucked in with a slight tail wind ... that ... in my opinion is very respectable for a upright sitting 650cc motorcycle ...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure why Kawasaki decided to make the top end peeder out so much. It is amazing really I have owned several bikes most of witch could easily obtain 200km.hr. The bike is a 650 should easily have a great top end.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not sure why Kawasaki decided to make the top end peeder out so much. It is amazing really I have owned several bikes most of witch could easily obtain 200km.hr. The bike is a 650 should easily have a great top end.
If it were a I4 ... I would agree completely ... as a twin ... I think it does very well ...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did the conversion 128 mph is 205 km/hr I haven,t even come close to that at 185.

It is a pretty fun bike light and quick and the front tire pulls off the ground nicely

·
Registered
69 Posts
THe old saying ther is no substitute for cubic inches makes me wonder the V has more torque than the ZX-6r but less horsepower. Well where can you go legally over 80 mph anyway short of speed to pass at 80 what will 198 mph get you 118 mph closer to the grave. I know I am contradicting my self "BEAR" with a earlier post but I love my V. FASTER FASTER TILL THE THRILL OF SPEED OVER COMES THE FEAR OF DEATH!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
THe old saying ther is no substitute for cubic inches makes me wonder the V has more torque than the ZX-6r but less horsepower. Well where can you go legally over 80 mph anyway short of speed to pass at 80 what will 198 mph get you 118 mph closer to the grave. I know I am contradicting my self "BEAR" with a earlier post but I love my V. FASTER FASTER TILL THE THRILL OF SPEED OVER COMES THE FEAR OF DEATH!!

Haha.....

The reason the I4 has more power is because it revs MUCH higher, it probably doesn't have near as much torque at 5k like the V has. It's a trade off, high revs and speed vs torque down low.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I like the power down low or mid range. I bought it because of it. I have bikes that scream 130 HP. I like the Versys because it's more Streetable. Is that a word? And it makes sence. I have had the Versys 2 up on the slab at 115. And me and my wife go 375lbs added together. I cant see needing more power. If you get you a cheap track bike and go to a couple track days you will get that need for speed out of your system. Or at least enough to drive semi normal on the street.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
My bike cruises 6000 rpm and 80 mph. I have had it to 110 just to see what it was like, but I really don't need to go that fast any more. Getting there is half the fun and the V will most definitely get there quickly. I think it's a great all around bike. As soon as I get my Corbin seat, the lowering kit from Speedy, and drop my front forks about an inch, I'll be a very happy camper. Happy now, but really happy after the adjustment.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I would guess that a pipe would extend the powerband. You'd probably lose some low-end power due to reduced back-pressure, but it should pull harder, longer.

Caveat Versys, parallel twins are VERY loud with open exhausts. Make sure you don't have a problem with noise.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes my last bike I had pipes and on long trips it drove me nuts. Something to be said about stock performance, mileage back pressure etc.. Also a bit of a sleeper with the low sound and then the power comes on. Slicing through traffic undetected

·
Registered
99 Posts
Has anyone taken the v off road?
I've dabbled with it off road ... It is not a dirt bike ... with that being said ... It surprised me how capable it is ... I regularly take it on unimproved dirt and gravel roads ( or should I say ... my girl friend ) ... it does as well ... or ... better that my Vstrom 1000 ...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Has anyone taken the v off road?
I have. Nothing serious, but nothing I'd take a sport bike on. I've crossed a small creek that had some decent sized rocks in it, I rolled right over the rocks with some strategic throttle application. I've been on hundreds of miles of dirt and gravel roads and several fields. I took a dirt road up a gnarly hill that had deep ruts and rocks that had my pucker factor going pretty good. It's done great so far. I had to soften the shock up a tad. The stock tires seem great to me. I've never had any incidents caused by the tires, even when riding in the rain on gravel.

The aftermarket pipes for the V seem to increase the low to mid range even more, but don't do much up top.

Luke

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have taken it on grass and a few gravel roads. When I got into deep gravel I kinda felt like I was just about to wreck my pride and joy, but I managed to make it through. Does the adjustable shock in the back make any difference? How is it adjusted I haven,t touched it yet. is it just weight what is dampening anyway?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is pretty weird to see these guys in these races in the desert flying with a rooster tail of sand behind them. The must feel like they are going to wipeout all the time and just get used to it

1 - 20 of 29 Posts