Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

top case compatible with factory side cases?

19K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  User Name 
#1 ·
Hello all!

I've bought a set of the kawa factory side cases for my V and subsequently read that the kawa top case is not compatible for some reason. Does anyone use a sturdy top case that will work with the factory side ones? I assume givi would have something but am not sure.

I apologize if this topic has been worn out in a previous thread.

Thanks to those that have helped me with other issues!:thanx:

Mitch

#2 · (Edited)
I think that if you go with the Givi top case, it will be compatible with your Kawi side cases. Kawasaki use Givi for the side and SW-Motec for the top. The SW-Motec bracket for the top case replaces the side handles next to the seat and interferes with the side case bracket. The Givi top case bracket goes underneath the side case bracket and shares two connection points.

#4 ·
I was going to try and get a top case to go with my side cases, but got an Axio tailbag from New Enough and that works for me. Holds my gloves, GPS, camera and other stuff, so the big stuff can go in the side cases. And it looks pretty good too! :thumb: Just a thought...

#5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm planning a long tour and need a bit more storage (looking for a larger volume top case). I'll probably go with a back pack strapped to the back between the side cases for the time being but really like being able to lock my stuff up.

I'll keep looking.

#6 ·
Meetatch69-

You can make the OEM Kawasaki sidecase racks (made by Givi) work with any top racks (including the OEM SW-Motech made racks) by hacksawing the welded grad handles off and grinding the mounting tab smooth.

I know this works as I did this and mounted the OEM top rack with the OEM sidecase racks.

#20 ·
I've been using the MotoPak GT-Roll bag for the past two years to haul my camping gear (uniforms for work trips) on my VFR and now on the Versys. It's a very sturdy bag with versatile mounting options, including two built-in bungee straps and a thick velcro strap (for attaching to backrests).It's water-resistant for most weather, but it still comes with a good rain cover. I like it much better than a tail trunk, especially on the VFR, so that weight is on the seat rather than up and behind the rear axle; it also holds a lot more than a tail trunk. It fits more than I need for regular camping, or a week's worth of off-the-bike clothing. Any bag on the back seat of the Versys makes it harder for me to get on and off, but for hauling the kitchen sink, I love the GT-Roll.

#13 ·
OEM pannier (saddlebag) rails are Givi pannier rails
OEM top box (trunk) rack is made by SW Motech

OEM Top box rack and OEM pannier rails are incompatable and will not work

Givi make a top box (trunk) rack that works with the Givi and OEM pannier rails
SW Motech produce a V35 compatable pannier rail kit which (I believe but don't know) fits with the OEM top box rack

for a 2006..2009 Versys
http://www.givi.co.uk/My-motorcycle/?ma=KAWASAKI&mo=Versys-650-06--09
for 2010 Versys
http://www.givi.co.uk/My-motorcycle/?ma=KAWASAKI&mo=Versys-650-10

so
2006..2009 versions use the 447 series parts

2010 use 450 series parts

#16 ·
Factory side cases and Givi topcase

I have a blue 09' that came with the factory side cases and I did it with just a small amount of tweaking. I used a Givi FZ447 Top Rack Plate and a Givi 52 Maxia top case. I really like the set up but I had to tweak the bars that extend out towards the back of the bike just a little bit.

The problem is when you bolt the 2 pieces onto the area that holds the grab bars it's a really tight fit, but it can be done. When you do this the bars are then pointed a little bit too far in towards the center of the bike at the back end. This causes the top mounting plate holes not to line up with the bars mounting holes. All you need to do at this point is spread the bars outward a little bit.

I bolted them onto the bike and stuck a 12" screwdriver into the length of the bar (had to take the rubber/plastic plug out of the end). I held pressure outwards with the screwdriver and whacked the bar with a heavy rubber mallet. I hit it right about where the bar just starts to turn downwards and a little bit on the straight portion both places at the same time. I gave it 2 pretty good smacks and did the other bar. The bolt holes on the top plastic part (the top mount) that the top case bolts onto only liked about 3/16" lining up at this point. I gave each side one really small whack (with the same procedure as above) and it fit perfectly.

The whole process probably took me 5 min. longer than a straight forward install would have. Everyone told me it wouldn't work but I had a friend with the same toprack and I kept looking at it and measuring it. I decided it could work with a little tweaking. Glad I tried it as it didn't take as much rework as I thought it would and I am extremely happy with it, aaannd I can lock stuff up or take the case into the room if I want to.

I picked the Maxia case partly because there is an electrical connection (for lights) that goes onto the top mount that works without a connector that has to be attached to the top case. In other words you just place the top case on the mount and the electrical connection works with no wire hook up or connector between the top case and the mount.

Some of the other Givi cases may do the same thing, I'm not sure. I also like the amount of room in the Maxia. I cannot tell any difference in the handling of the bike with this size top case. However I am not a rider who pushes it to the extreme (just some times:))

If a Givi top case is what you want, I'd say go for it unless you're just not comfortable with modifying things a little. It really wasn't that hard to do though.

Good luck which ever way you decide to go, JH

#17 ·
I have a blue 09' that came with the factory side cases and I did it with just a small amount of tweaking. I used a Givi FZ447 Top Rack Plate
The only way I could see to get it even close was for the fz447 two-piece brackets to mount on top of the hard bag mounts. Is that the way you did it?

I don't mind a little fabricating/tweaking, but mine wasn't even close. Any chance you can grab a photo how you have the bracketry?

/Curt

#19 ·
Just get all the nuts to where they are slightly threaded but not tight. With everything loose, it works. You'll then slowly start tightening everything up and it'll work :)

#21 ·
I tried it on my 2008, but I had issues getting the Kappa KZ447 rack (same as Givi FZ447) to work with the OEM side racks. Having more $$$ than patience at the time, I sold the OEM side racks to another Versys owner, and ordered the PLX447 racks (non-OEM) from Givi. They do not replace the passenger grab rails, and work well with the KZ447 / FZ447.

That said, this post has some good pictures from Siyeh showing the FZ447 mounted with the OEM side racks. Hope he doesn't mind me reproducing it here.

Dave C

#27 ·
Hey guys, I just swapped my Suzuki DR650E for a 2009 Versys 650, and I'd like to be able to mount an old Givi monolock case that I used to mount on my KLR.

I still have the E41's pictured here, and fell in love with the SW Motech quick release hardware as who tours 365 days a year?

Ideally I wanted the SW Motech topbox rack AND their quick release racks, but now find that it isn't compatible. I need the topbox as a backrest for the girlfriend and for the takeaway. :)

What do you think?

#28 ·
I took the route of modifying the OEM racks. I bought an ADV-Gear tail rack and simply cut off the OEM built on handles with an angle grinder. The ADV-Gear rack has the handles as part of it's construction, then I was able to use it with the OEM Givi side racks no problem. Not the prettiest method but the cheapest and quickest for me.

#30 ·
Running the brackets underneath with a little grinding on the brackets works great.

this post[/URL] has some good pictures from Siyeh showing the FZ447 mounted with the OEM side racks. Hope he doesn't mind me reproducing it here.

Dave C
Thanks Dave C. The idea to run the brackets underneath was perfect. I ground out a small notch in the brackets and they slid under the panniers' bars. Seems sturdy enough. We'll see when the snow melt.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.