Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry an old topic. I have read most of the previous posts on this subject but still have a few points/questions.
I just purchased a "left over" 2019 Versys 650LT. 200 miles so far. I'm beginning to think it was a mistake to get the LT. The panniers/saddle bags are a PITA! My HJC full face helmet won't fit in, and a BIG negative neither will my laptop. I'm try to find a top case to add, butt nooooobody seems to make a rack that fits. I probably should sell the stock saddle bags and get a GIVI full kit.

Comments?

·
Registered
221 Posts
This is my combination on 2018 Versys650

Givi SR4114
Givi TREKKER OUTBACK 42 black
Givi M7 Monokey
Givi E168

Now will laptop fit in this 42liter bag I don't know I don't have laptop so I can't say. Inner dimensions are 37cmx37cmx22cm(+couple cm on cover). 1 full helmet with peak can fit inside + gloves+ little things like little first aid

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have a '16 LT, and use it mainly for commuting, and love the stock side cases. My Large HJC modular helmet (IS-Max2) fits in either case just fine, and I have a Cardo unit mounted to the side of my helmet. The helmet has to be facing to the back with the visor closed, but it fits without issue. And I also have the Givi V47 top case, which is the exact same box as the Kawasaki one. Kawasaki and Givi both make a rear rack for the bike that allows you to mount the top box. The Kawasaki rack is much more expensive, but also much sturdier than the Givi.

·
Registered
483 Posts
There are saddlebag, top case, and mounting options for our Gen3 Versys from Givi/Kappa, SW-Motech, Shad, and Hepco & Becker, perhaps others, too. And many more soft luggage options.

Reactions: quexpress

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have the Givi SR4114 mount and the "factory" top case, a Givi V47. The Givi purchased aftermarket is identical to to Kawi branded trunk except for the trim color, but it costs a lot less.

The top case is very handy. The mount pkate is sturdy, and it mates to the Givi side racks if you want to add aluminum panniers. I now have Givi Outback Trekker panniers and like them much better than the plastic Kawi panniers.

Givi has confusing names for their mounting designs. One is Monokey, the other is Monolock. They are not the same, nor are they interchangeable.

·
Super Moderator
19,152 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I like Givi because the cases are a one-time purchase, and they make racks for almost every bike. I have a E52 top case I’ve used on probably 5 different bikes. It stays on my bike 99% of the time. I also have two sets of Givi sidecases, smaller 21L ones, and big 46L ones - they both use the same mounts, so it’s easy to swap or take them off altogether. These have been on 3 different bikes.

If you ever ride with a passenger, get a top case big enough to hold both your helmets. My 52L can easily fit both our size L full face helmets.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
I like Givi because the cases are a one-time purchase, and they make racks for almost every bike. I have a E52 top case I’ve used on probably 5 different bikes. It stays on my bike 99% of the time. I also have two sets of Givi sidecases, smaller 21L ones, and big 46L ones - they both use the same mounts, so it’s easy to swap or take them off altogether. These have been on 3 different bikes.

If you ever ride with a passenger, get a top case big enough to hold both your helmets. My 52L can easily fit both our size L full face helmets.
Back when I bought the V35s I said I would always own a bike that could use them. They ended up on 3 bikes, 10 years, and 50,000 miles of use. I finally let them go with the last bike.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have you tried putting the helmet on its side in the cases? I can fit my shoei GT Air in the side cases without any problem, but I need to place the helmet on its side and the visor facing the back of the bike.

·
Super Moderator
19,152 Posts
I lock my helmet (TWO if I have a passenger) w/ a small "ski-lock" around some frame near the rear of the seat, so they don't fall off, and they're handy to me.

(y)(y)

·
Registered
161 Posts

I second the Givi Maxia E52. When I got my 2017 Versys 650 LT, I took my Givi off my BMW F800 ST, purchased the correct mounting plate for the V, and snapped it right on. The top case has an optional backrest if you want to carry a passenger comfortably. It holds a LOT. I normally commute on my bike, and have often been able to stop at the grocery store on the way home and fit a number of bags in there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I opted for the OEM rack for a cleaner look but then added the Givi E370 Monolock since I wanted a smaller top box. The Monolock cases come with a universal mounting case plate (plastic) whereas the Monokey does not. If you opt for the OEM rack, you will need a tamper proof nut driver on 2 of the bolts. Not sure why they felt that was necessary.

brp1.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK - I feel foolish but, you guys were correct. Turn the helmet facing backwards in the side cases and it goes in. I didn't do well with shapes in kindergarten (apparently). It wasn't a round peg and a square hole but for me . . . . anyway thank you all. I have a GIVI rack and top case coming as well as engine guards, throttle lock, cup holder, foot pegs,color tv, phone mount, telescope, rocket launchers, chain gun, and a clip on food tray. Photos of the real add-on's forthcoming.
:D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Rougue, I just bought that same rack (just came in the mail today) and like TXCyclist I have the GIVI Maxia E52 , I've had that case for the last 10 years so I can tell you, quality stuff, and my wife loves it, specially with the pad.

Cheers !

F.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’ve found that you really don’t need the back pad, on my old bike it pushed the passenger too far forward. Plus, your passenger should be wearing a protective riding jacket with back armor/padding anyways, so they won’t be feeling a hard plastic case.

·
Registered
16 Posts

I've got a few hundred miles in with my Tusk boxes and I'm quite happy with them. Won't hold a helmet (I take it with, or use the integrated helmet lock under the saddle) but it would fit most laptops and lots more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm sorry an old topic. I have read most of the previous posts on this subject but still have a few points/questions.
I just purchased a "left over" 2019 Versys 650LT. 200 miles so far. I'm beginning to think it was a mistake to get the LT. The panniers/saddle bags are a PITA! My HJC full face helmet won't fit in, and a BIG negative neither will my laptop. I'm try to find a top case to add, butt nooooobody seems to make a rack that fits. I probably should sell the stock saddle bags and get a GIVI full kit.

Comments?
i have an 18 650lt and bought the kawasaki topcase and mount through kawasaki. BTW givi makes the cases for kawasaki. I like mine. just took a trip to the black hills and was able to load alot of gear on board.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts