Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This guy (Ryan @ FortNine) works for FortNine (Canada's Revzilla). Despite the commercial connection I love this guy's YouTube channel, he's more entertaining than Anthony at Revzilla and worth subscribing to for general info about gear and other motorcycle related insights. He's not afraid to call crap, crap, even if they sell the product and also has some entertaining touring videos and bike reviews.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Great to watch. I like this guy and the detail with which he describes the things he's talking about - or is that abooot? Don't you wish other large retailers would do the same and tell those of us who don't know everything about every piece of gear what they think of products?

But don't tell my brother in law about the deer whistles. I want to convince him he needs to buy a few more before he finds out they're worthless. Before I get slammed by those who are convinced they work, I should qualify my opinion by saying they don't seem to work in Maine or Texas - IMHO.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Great to watch. I like this guy and the detail with which he describes the things he's talking about - or is that abooot? Don't you wish other large retailers would do the same and tell those of us who don't know everything about every piece of gear what they think of products?

But don't tell my brother in law about the deer whistles. I want to convince him he needs to buy a few more before he finds out they're worthless. Before I get slammed by those who are convinced they work, I should qualify my opinion by saying they don't seem to work in Maine or Texas - IMHO.
what are you talking about those whistles work great , was on a logging trip going about 30mph down a gravel mountain road and here comes a buck running down the side of the hill, pacing me, then makes a hard left right into the side of my truck, and ends under the wheels of my trailer loaded down with wood, if the truck didnt have the whistle he wouldnt have known i was there to suicide on, and Bambi would still have a dad

·
Registered
200 Posts
FortNine may be an intentional corruption of 49, as in the forty-ninth parallel, north of which no man dare travel!

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
FortNine may be an intentional corruption of 49, as in the forty-ninth parallel, north of which no man dare travel!
and here i thought he was just a knock off of flea prevention >:)

·
Registered
200 Posts
More seriously, I thought enough of Ryan's review of sport touring tires, that I changed from buying a Battleaxe to a Michelin PR4. In some ways I think the B-axe would be better for me, but have been pleased with the "groovy" rubber so far.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I live just slightly north of the 49th ;) Fort means four in French. It's an amalgamation of French and English to express the number 49. The main office located at 49 some street in Montreal (which is in French Quebec). The company explained it in an article about their very recent name change from CanadasMotorcycle, which kind of sucked as a name.

I used to buy most of my stuff from US online retailers, when the Canadian and American dollars were at par but now the Canadian dollar is only worth about .80 cents US these guys are the usually cheapest option for most gear. With the difference in the dollar Canadian prices must look pretty good if you're in the US right now and do the conversion to US dollars. The problem is we pay 13% sales tax on everything except groceries, at least in Ontario.

·
Registered
107 Posts
"if the truck didnt have the whistle he wouldnt have known i was there to suicide on, and Bambi would still have a dad". Nice one! hahahaha

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

a good friend had a couple on his Goldwing when he got hit by a deer..so I'm thinking they don't work for Washington state deer either...

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
a good friend had a couple on his Goldwing when he got hit by a deer..so I'm thinking they don't work for Washington state deer either...
Come to think of it they apparently don't work in Colorado either. Daughter and family live in the mountains outside Durango and have had two instances that would seem to prove their worthlessness. First, they hit a deer one evening and several evenings later a deer hit them! It rammed the side of their whistle-equipped Outback. Maybe deer whistles actually attract deer? Or maybe this particular deer was suicidal. Or maybe it just didn't like Subaru Outbacks. Or - is it possible - it might have been a mountain terrorist?! :grin2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts