Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a couple of tool tubes from Twisted Throttle. I'm thinking of mounting them to the inside of the side racks. Anybody have any experience with them?

·
Premium Member
7,840 Posts
Yeap!. come handy to store tools and yes it can be mounted inside the side rack. My tube is a document container form shipping containers and is water tight.

:goodluck:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here is the exact same tube for a lot cheaper, you just have to source your own mounting hardware. I have 2, have had 1 of them for a long time. I hacked off the mounting tabs on mine. There is a little drain hole on the tubes you'll need to plug with some tape but that's it. Totally waterproof.

http://www.agrisupply.com/operator-manual-canister/p/67670/

·
Registered
97 Posts
The yellow lettering/symbols on the sides and cap of the agri-supply tube comes right off with a little solvent like paint thinner and does no damage to the tube material or finish. They're nice tubes.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Yeap!. come handy to store tools and yes it can be mounted inside the side rack. My tube is a document container form shipping containers and is water tight.

:goodluck:
I really like this idea. How is that tube mounted, Mr. Fastoman?

Anyone know if the "exact same thing" (i.e., the large 12.75 x 3.25 tube from AgriSupplies) will fit in the space inboard of the Givi racks for V35s bags? Smash? Looks like the relocated turn signal will be in the way.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Not sure Bones, don't have hard bags here and even if I did the mounts are different for the Versys and the 650R. Happy to get some measurements for you if you can tell me what you need.
It would be nice to know (a) overall length including the cap, (b) outside diameter at the widest part (looks that would be through the cap) and (c) outside diameter through the body of the tube. Gracias.

Might have to move the turn signals (or mount new ones elsewhere) to make it work, but it could be worth the effort.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I really like this idea. How is that tube mounted, Mr. Fastoman?

Anyone know if the "exact same thing" (i.e., the large 12.75 x 3.25 tube from AgriSupplies) will fit in the space inboard of the Givi racks for V35s bags? Smash? Looks like the relocated turn signal will be in the way.
I bought 2 of th agricultural ones a few years ago to mount up. I have Givi V35's and a top box. I never mounted them, as I cant figure out a way to fit them. The only possible area I could guess was where the relocated signals are, but then I need to do something with them. I will be watching this for a solution.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It would be nice to know (a) overall length including the cap,

12"

(b) outside diameter at the widest part (looks that would be through the cap) and

3 7/8" IF you grind off the mounting points completely

(c) outside diameter through the body of the tube. Gracias.

3 1/2"

Might have to move the turn signals (or mount new ones elsewhere) to make it work, but it could be worth the effort.
Hope that helps! Measurements aren't exact, measured on bike.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Thanks, yes the measurements help. I have a cardboard mailing tube nearly the same size as the lid and I will cut it to length to see what might work. Looks like the tube will fit in there, although the cap may be tough to get in and out of the space. And I'd have to relocate the turn signals. perhaps onto the side of my Givi top case mount...PITA!

Another option would be to mount the tubes somehow on the bottom of the V35s. There's all kinds of lean angle available so they would not be in the way. They may look odd down there and it would make it hard to sit the bags on the ground or floor. I would not want to have to drill holes into the V35s, however.

OK, looks like I will need to brain over this a while. Brew up some coffee, hang out in the garage with my dog, and think. If I come up with anything, I'll share it with the Versys brethren.

·
Registered
929 Posts
If you want to avoid moving the turn signals, why not attach them to the bottom of the racks that the V35 are on? Hose clamps (similar to what Smash used) should work, wouldn't they? Or would that just look too weird if the cases were off the bike?

Dave C

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Well, I took that mailing tube outside and didn't even need a pot of coffee to realize it's just not going to work as I envisioned. There's a smaller size tube available but I doubt the storage would make it worthwhile. If the bike had no panniers and all I wanted was a couple tubes for carrying tools, papers, etc., then I could make something work. It's not as though I'm dying for more storage space...with 2 V35s, an E52, a tank bag and an Akona bag strapped to the back seat, I can carry more than I need anyway!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well, I took that mailing tube outside and didn't even need a pot of coffee to realize it's just not going to work as I envisioned. There's a smaller size tube available but I doubt the storage would make it worthwhile. If the bike had no panniers and all I wanted was a couple tubes for carrying tools, papers, etc., then I could make something work. It's not as though I'm dying for more storage space...with 2 V35s, an E52, a tank bag and an Akona bag strapped to the back seat, I can carry more than I need anyway!
WHOA. Ha, that's a lot of room!! Sorry the tube won't work though. :(

·
Registered
665 Posts
Mount them outboard and paint to look like missiles. ;-)

Reactions: C-17 Pilot

·
Registered
612 Posts
I mounted the Twisted T tubes one on each side inside my SW Motech racks with Givi E-21 bags. I find them handy for tools or whatever and on a road trip I have an MSR fuel bottle for each one that fits perfectly. They are only a little under a liter each but it gives me a little peace of mind.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I mounted the Twisted T tubes one on each side inside my SW Motech racks with Givi E-21 bags. I find them handy for tools or whatever and on a road trip I have an MSR fuel bottle for each one that fits perfectly. They are only a little under a liter each but it gives me a little peace of mind.
That's pretty much what I had in mind. There are some pretty creative solutions listed above, but my intent was strictly to carry extra gas. Considering the cost of the the Tool Tubes, mounting brackets, and 30 oz. MSR bottles, it might make more sense for me to just buy a 1 gallon Tour Tube, from Tour Tanks, and just pack it away.

Things happen on bike trips. Headwinds, unplanned breakdowns, routing changes, etc., and you don't always get the chance to gas up in the next town, like you'd planned. I started carrying MSR fuel bottles years ago, and it does indeed give you a little extra peace of mind; not just for yourself, for your buddies as well. It's as big a pain for me to have to deal with another person running out of gas as it is for me.

The MSR's I have now are 40 oz., and won't fit in a tool tube, so now I need to either rig a whole set up, stick with what I have, or get something else. I'm still looking at it.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Can you post some pix please?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts