Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Versys on Ebay.
New bike, zero miles, last one they had, blah blah
I live in Hawaii and have to fly to NJ to pick it up. Figured since I was there I may as well ride it X country to Cali and then ship it home. Poor me. It may take several weeks.
Question: Trying to pack (lightly) for my journey and am wondering what, if any, sort of tool kit comes with the Versys.
Mahalo for any input.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Good for you and hope all works out well. It would be a good idea IMO to get the oil changed after about 50-100 miles of riding. That's when most metal will come out.

I never used the tool kit but looked thru it. As I remember, it has all that you'll "need". I doubt if you'll get the rear tire nut loose or front sprocket nut loose by it but the basic stuff is there, no tire plug kit though or air pump.

Be sure to bring good rain gear for the trip.

You'll love the V.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tool kit/Versys

Thanks atgatt:
By the time I hit 100 miles I will be on oil change #2. Filters are standing by and will be travelling with me..... and Yes, I was planning on rain gear. This is not my very first rodeo.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I had someone bump my mirror in a parking lot while on a trip, and the stock tool kit didn't have a wrench large enough to re-tighten it. Very annoying having your mirror swinging freely, giving you an excellent view of your chest as you ride! I would bring an adjustable wrench, or perhaps even two.

Sounds like a great introductory ride on your V. Have fun and ride safe!

·
Registered
205 Posts
My wife and I do alot of traveling and one thing you might not be used to is the saddle. Find the thread that shows how to shim the front of the seat. It takes a while to get used to. I cant imagine spending the the first week in the saddle of a new versys. Everybody is different but my combo that worked was the shim 7/16 up for the front of the seat, a gelpad 1/4 '' thin and a beadrider. (from beadrider.com) I just cut the gel pad a little smaller than the beadrider. It gose under the beadrider. Keeps it in place too. Also got me some of them underarmor heat gear underwear from academy sports. That helped more than you want to know.

·
Registered
131 Posts
^^^ Yeah, that is going to be the big thing...bring lots of foam, beads, padding, gel, etc. You may be one of the lucky few that the seat fits perfectly. Otherwise it could be a ride full of aches, pains and numbness.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The stock kit is pretty dismal. I'd recommend the standard stuff, lubricants (wd-40 and good chain lube), adjustable wrenches, locktite etc. You can search the forums and download a copy of the repair manual, it has every measurement of every bolt. Take a quick look through the main parts and make sure you have a tool to work em. The biggest early problems are buzzing, and bad mirrors. I had to retighten mine a few times, and that requires an adjustable wrench. Good luck!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Let's not forget a battery powered air compressor, impact wrench and impact sockets. :p

I do carry a foot pump, tire plugs, extra tire air valves, various size hose clamps, voltage meter, fire extinguisher, extra gas, electrical tape, small flashlight, chain lube, bungee cords and a whole lot more.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Seat advice

I'd highly recommend the Tsunamichop seat mod before I rode across the dealership parking lot, let alone across the country. That stock seat is positively painful until you jack the front of it up a 1/4" or so. You may need to get some slightly longer than stock bolts for the front seat bracket too. I raised the front of my seat 5/16" of an inch, and I had to get new bolts from the local ACO. This mod saved my butt (literally), and allowed me to ride the bike for three weeks until my new Corbin arrived. Just my two cents....

Good Luck on your awesome adventure,

Handkphil

·
Registered
429 Posts
Dude, you've got some BALLS! And I envy you. I've wanted to cross the country for years, but my job and family keep my riding to a couple hundred miles at a time.

After a hundred and fifty miles or so, mind you all back roads so it can take most of the day, my ass does hurt, but my right knee (damaged goods) is in pain. I hope you can make it in comfort most of the way. Frequent stops help a lot. I'm really looking forward to installing some highway pegs on my bike.

My #1 piece of advice for you is probably obvious, and I'm sure you've already got it covered, but here goes anyway, bring some luggage that attaches to the bike, hard or soft. You're going to need it. Bungies and back packs are going to annoy the **** out of you after a short while.

Good luck, and be sure to post pictures!

Luke

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tool kit/Versys

Mahalo for all the replies from one and all.
I have been on motorcycles for 35+ years and have driven just about anything with two wheels x country, and I am sure the versys will be better than some of my past nightmares. :)

That is good advice about the seat. In any of the reviews I have read I had not heard anything about that. Thanks again.

It sounds like I will be lugging the tool kit I normally carry, plus all the widgets. Hoping to avind some of that weight, but maybe I can offset it by leaving my collection of beany-babies at home for this trip.

Yes, I have some nice Rev-pack luggage and a tank bag that will come with me.

I do not carry a pump, but I do have a plug kit and about four CO2 cylinders.

Funny thing, I aleady have everything in my kit that has been suggested except for chain lube. I would like to blame it on the airlines, but the simple truth is I have not had a ride since 1991 that has had a drive chain.

Photos? Sure, there will many. I have a waterproof camera and two 2GB cards. That should be good for about 2500 photos, or 5000 if I dial down the resolution.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts