Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode over to Hocking Hills Ohio to see the bucket for Big Muskie today. I'd striped the Givi Windshield off as it's very hot and sticky here. Hocking Hill is Ohio's answer to the Dragon's Tail. But very lightly traveled and the limit is 55 most places and you'd be hard pressed to do that! It's NOT just one road and a bunch of roads so you can pick and choose.

I want you do understand in this photo that my bike is there to give you so idea of scale. It's about 20' in front of the bucket. That bucket is flat out huge! Holding 220 YARDS at a time! 320 tons! Big Muskie was the largest Striping Dragline ever built. The boom alone was over 300 foot! Overall it was 425 foot long.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think the dirt loading guy would look at me funny if I pulled up in a Ford Ranger and said, "Give me one scoop!"
He'd likely think you were a basket case! :D

I passed this on the way home after I was at Big Muskie's Bucket. Makes you do a double take.

Yep a 7 story building on the side on the hi-way...bet they'd have a hard time selling it if ever they want to!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Rode over to Hocking Hills Ohio to see the bucket for Big Muskie today. I'd striped the Givi Windshield off as it's very hot and sticky here. Hocking Hill is Ohio's answer to the Dragon's Tail. But very lightly traveled and the limit is 55 most places and you'd be hard pressed to do that! It's NOT just one road and a bunch of roads so you can pick and choose.

I want you do understand in this photo that my bike is there to give you so idea of scale. It's about 20' in front of the bucket. That bucket is flat out huge! Holding 220 YARDS at a time! 320 tons! Big Muskie was the largest Striping Dragline ever built. The boom alone was over 300 foot! Overall it was 425 foot long.

Yes it is !!! And I live 5 miles from the basket !!

·
Super Moderator
19,152 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The big mining truck of cool but scary. I was watching a show and they said that they had one run over a regular pick-up about once a year and the driver of the big Cat didn't even know it. He said it's like driving a 2 story house!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I try to stay out of their way!

Last jobs dragline, only 1/3 the bucket of big muskie, but still had a 320ft boom.

Some may recognize it as the machine on I-80, east of Rock Springs, WY. That's a 200 ft deep pit.

·
Registered
642 Posts
What a horrible example of multinational corporate profiteering destroying the local environment and the entire Earth through global warming.

I hope the EPA will require the mining company to fill in that hole and restore the "natural environment" over it. That will include restoring a native population of "pronghorn spotted toads" and wolves - unless the wolves end up hunting the toads. Then we should get rid of the wolves and try coyotes - or maybe badgers.

Either way, I will not accept humans mucking about with the environment!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hmmm. I wonder where the metal to make your bike and the fuel comes from. I totally agree that the mined earth should be reinstated to flora and fauna but the demands of modern society tend to force this type of mining. Just my two bob's worth.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts