Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Well I have 33,000 on mine. The only issue I have with it is... hmm.... Um... I have replaced tires, done 11 oil changes, & 1 valve adjustment. I was able to ride it 3100 miles in 65 hours last weekend, it just purred right along. So I'm guessing 150-200,000 before the engine goes?

·
Premium Member
7,849 Posts
flakey

adj.,to be unreliable, and/or absent-minded, flighty, fickle. Generally unresponsible.

Bob said he'd bring beer and instead he invited his friends who brought no beer.And he used to be into punk and now he likes disco. Dude is totally flakey.

:D

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
My Dad always told me. You know why a counslor becomes a counslor? To fix his or her own FLAKE! Getting Flakey!! Ha! Ha!:joke:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Time in this forum will tell.
I'd think bulk of Versys will be getting "ratty" after 70-80k there's more to an engine than just compression, and portions of the bike that don't come in contact with engine oil and that don't benefit by frequent engine oil changes. For example brake seals, fork seals, brake lines, Bearings wheel and swing arm, electrical insulation, fuel pump mechanical, radiator fan, cooling system and hoses, throttle bodies and control systems, instrumentation, control switches, grips, cables, seat stuffing and vinyl , rust, oxidation. Generally a bunch of stuff that takes a motivated DIY enthusiast to maintain in a like new condition.

How many miles can you put on a V before it starts getting flakey? How many miles is "a lot?"

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'd think the bike would be getting ratty after 70-80k there's more to an engine than just compression, and portions of the bike as a system that don't benefit by frequent oil changes.
Yep, also gotta keep an eye on the blinker fluid and muffler bearings, perhaps even change those to tapered ones.

I expect to easily get to 100k with proper maintenance.
Check on the British Versys forum to read about high-mileage Versyseseses.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yep, also gotta keep an eye on the blinker fluid and muffler bearings, perhaps even change those to tapered ones.

I expect to easily get to 100k with proper maintenance.
Check on the British Versys forum to read about high-mileage Versyseseses.
And you gotta be careful not to let the magic smoke out of the CDI box. :p

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I'd think bulk of Versys will be getting "ratty" after 70-80k there's more to an engine than just compression, and portions of the bike that don't come in contact with engine oil and that don't benefit by frequent engine oil changes. For example brake seals, fork seals, brake lines, Bearings wheel and swing arm, electrical insulation, fuel pump mechanical, radiator fan, cooling system and hoses, throttle bodies and control systems, instrumentation, control switches, grips, cables, seat stuffing and vinyl , rust, oxidation. Generally a bunch of stuff that takes a motivated DIY enthusiast to maintain in a like new condition.
I think that depends on how many years it takes to put the miles on. If it takes 20 years then I agree. If you put them on in four years, a different story.

·
Registered
194 Posts
What the hell is flakey?
In Canada a Flakey is a pre packaged puff pastry square "snack cake" by Vachon Bakery Inc. I don't think the Versys will turn into one as it doesn't have a high enough sugar content. :funnypost:

FYI -- Vachon in Canada is like Hostess in the USA. :interesting:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Vertical Axis - indicates number of bikes gone "Flaky"

Horizontal Axis - Indicates Lifespan "Flaky" in (Miles / Km)

What's the Typical / Average Lifespan?

Does the number of old Japanese bikes on the roads give any indication?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Like anything mechanical, a LOT will depend on the care put into maintaining it and how it is used.

And then the unknown variable of how well it was built to start with.

So yeah, probably a normal distribution. We just don't know what the average is yet because it hasn't been around long enough. Come back and see in 2019 when the majority of those on the road now are ~10 years old and we'll have a much better answer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I know we all have different terms for it, be it flaky, ratty, or loose but its a good question and I am referring to the chassis not the engine.
Many bikes needed a complete suspension overhaul as well as things like headset, swingarm & wheel bearing overhaul that attribute to "looseness"

I have had bikes, like the KLR, that get noticeably "loose" by 20K where others are still "tight" at 30k when I have sold them. I have yet to keep a bike past 50K.

Those that have 30-50K on a Versys, forget the engine, is the rest of the bike still "tight"?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts