Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Too low?

4K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  hwit cniht 
#1 ·
I've got a 2013 Versys, which is a hellofalottafun to ride. Coming from a 2008 KLR, I find the Versys seat height way too low for me. I'm 6' with a 33" inseam, but feel very cramped in the cockpit of this bike. Any recommendations on raising the seat, lowering the foot-pegs, etc?
I realize that most people want to lower their bikes, but I feel so cramped that If I can't adjust this somehow, I've got a bike for sale.

#3 ·
I added Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks, as well as denser seat foam from seat concepts.

#12 ·
I have tried Buell foot pegs (drop-in replacement for stock Kawi pegs) that lower the pegs, but then this happened: the Buell pegs spread feet outwards, which in turn forces the rider to "fish" for the shifter by twisting the foot inwards. Can you relate and/or compare to the Motowerk lowering blocks?

#14 ·
I have this lowering foot peg kit from T-Rex Racing

In package you get and brake lever nut (middle part on picture), but i didn't replace OEM wit this which I get in kit, because i think that with OEM part i am able to set lower position of brake lever than with T-rex part.
And I got stickers with the kit

#15 ·
I watched some youtube... so the Buell pegs seem to accomplish the same thing the Motowerk blocks do: lower the pegs by a little over an inch. I had them on 3 different bikes (ZRX, V650 and Ninja 650) and found myself fishing for the shifter on each bike. Reason: in stock set up, I can keep my feet closer to the frame because the peg mechanism is level with the pegs. When the pegs are lowered, the mechanism pushes the feet apart by about an inch on each side. Doable, but I couldn't get used to it. Also, without the Motowerk nut for the brake lever, it was to high for my taste.

I'm well over 6 feet and find the stock height of the bars very comfortable, albeit not suitable for riding standing up. The other issue concerning us tall ones is the wind screen. After trying all settings and an additional top screen I gave up and just removed the entire thing - there's a dedicated thread for that issue somewhere here too. Fortunately, the V650 (2019) doesn't look too bad without the screen.... and the reduced noise level in my helmet is unbeatable.

#16 ·
I watched some youtube... so the Buell pegs seem to accomplish the same thing the Motowerk blocks do: lower the pegs by a little over an inch. I had them on 3 different bikes (ZRX, V650 and Ninja 650) and found myself fishing for the shifter on each bike. Reason: in stock set up, I can keep my feet closer to the frame because the peg mechanism is level with the pegs. When the pegs are lowered, the mechanism pushes the feet apart by about an inch on each side. Doable, but I couldn't get used to it. Also, without the Motowerk nut for the brake lever, it was to high for my taste.

I'm well over 6 feet and find the stock height of the bars very comfortable, albeit not suitable for riding standing up. The other issue concerning us tall ones is the wind screen. After trying all settings and an additional top screen I gave up and just removed the entire thing - there's a dedicated thread for that issue somewhere here too. Fortunately, the V650 (2019) doesn't look too bad without the screen.... and the reduced noise level in my helmet is unbeatable.
YES - the windscreen issue is bad bad bad for tall people. Here is my thread:

And here is another I've read:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.