Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
The veskimo is a bit much for the riding I think. If you were riding in 100 degree heat for hours on end I could see using these devices but for the normal person they are overkill that's my personal opinion

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've used various types of cooling vest while working as a Nuclear Safety Engineer. It's very hot in a Nuclear Powerhouse as they can't just open the doors/windows and air the place out for obvious reasons.

Cooling vests are good for lowering your core body temperature, but they aren't going to stop the dehydration that comes from riding down a hot road as your sweat is blowing/evaporated off of you. They also don't cool the air you're breathing. So as you are breathing you are sucking in hot air and expelling more moisture.

In my personal opinion, cooling vests can be more dangerous for the average person. They lull you into thinking you are cooler because you feel "cool", when actually you are still losing bodily fluids. They can mask some of the dangers signs for heat exhaustion/sickness.

But that's just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
764 Posts
i think i would have to agree, with the mesh phenominom... its been over 95 here the last couple weeks and it just feels like i am riding into a hairdryer.

The couple times i have worn my 3 season vented jacket, it hasnt been much better BUT it certainly hasnt been worse....so i dont know if that proves anything

·
Registered
575 Posts
Or, you could just move to my city. We're getting our first nice week starting today. Summers going to be short up here.

·
Registered
252 Posts
From what I've read the problem with ice vests is they cause the blood vessels close to the skin to constrict (due to the extreme cold) but your inner core is still trying to get rid of heat. Big problem that could have serious consequences.

I found the evaporative vest and mesh jacket worked for me. You do get wet but it feels very welcome, but maybe not a practical solution for commuting to work.

Stumbled across this (http://coolwingrider.com/). That may work but I know nothing about it beyond what it says on the website.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From what I've read the problem with ice vests is they cause the blood vessels close to the skin to constrict (due to the extreme cold) but your inner core is still trying to get rid of heat. Big problem that could have serious consequences.
The Veskimo fits against your skin. But I would want to put a layer between it and my skin. That's what I do with my evap' vest. It can get plenty cool that way, I can only imagine if it was nearly frozen!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts