Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This video gives you an idea of the incredible speeds at the IOM TT; I have trouble making out the rider number as the pass. Easy to see why it is so insanely dangerous; one careless move by one spectator who has had too much alchohol, =disaster!

Love to go, but the tele is the place to really see the riders and the race, IMHO.

·
Registered
286 Posts
What amazes me is how skillfully the riders basically set up the turn before they're in it. They know the course well enough to anticipate what's coming next and they're thinking two-three seconds ahead of the bike.

Amazing.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
What amazes me is how skillfully the riders basically set up the turn before they're in it. They know the course well enough to anticipate what's coming next and they're thinking two-three seconds ahead of the bike.

Amazing.
Yes, the Isle of Man is a spectacular place. Participated in the Manx Grand Prix (amateur version of the TT) as a member of Thistle Racing Ltd. several times in the late 60s - early 70s and was absolutely amazed with the skill and course knowledge of local racers. Beyond the racing, for me it was a case of "going home" - my ancestors came from the Isle of Man. Sure made it tough to leave when the time came. It's a beautiful place even without the racing. The Manx say that from the top of Snaefel (the highest mountain on the island) you can see six kingdoms: England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Man, and heaven. Not bad.

Sadly, we never managed to perform very well, mostly because of a lack of time and resources. Even in the Manx GP amateur races, an impossible amount of time and commitment was required and the US Air Force sort of got in the way. Oh well.

When we asked a long-retired and very experienced TT racer how we could become familiar with the course he said "you have to walk it - all 37 3/4 miles." Yep, it's dangerous but it's also truly amazing and spectacular. At the time lapping over 100 mph was difficult but now skilled TT riders are lapping at over 130 mph. Astounding!

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Yes, the Isle of Man is a spectacular place. Participated in the Manx Grand Prix (amateur version of the TT) as a member of Thistle Racing Ltd. several times in the late 60s - early 70s and was absolutely amazed with the skill and course knowledge of local racers. Beyond the racing, for me it was a case of "going home" - my ancestors came from the Isle of Man. Sure made it tough to leave when the time came. It's a beautiful place even without the racing. The Manx say that from the top of Snaefel (the highest mountain on the island) you can see six kingdoms: England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Man, and heaven. Not bad.

Sadly, we never managed to perform very well, mostly because of a lack of time and resources. Even in the Manx GP amateur races, an impossible amount of time and commitment was required and the US Air Force sort of got in the way. Oh well.

When we asked a long-retired and very experienced TT racer how we could become familiar with the course he said "you have to walk it - all 37 3/4 miles." Yep, it's dangerous but it's also truly amazing and spectacular. At the time lapping over 100 mph was difficult but now skilled TT riders are lapping at over 130 mph. Astounding!

I love that....

:thumb:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I love watching the TT on tv, and would love to go over some day! The sights and sounds are one thing, but the speed and the smell of any kind of racing must be experienced.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Its great to watch, but no way would I race in it.
They are going far too fast for my comfort level.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts