Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I brought my new Gray/Black 2016 Versys 650 LT home the first thing my wife says "It's too black, people aren't going to see you, especially at night". Darned thing about my wife is thats she's usually right and even prophetic! So I'm looking at the usual headlight tailight enhancements, but I would like some insights on what you guys are doing for side visibility. Anyone using reflective rimtapes and are you happy with them? Brand you are using, etc. There are some posts on rimtapes but they are pretty old. I was thinking of Kawasaki Green to match the green spring.Might look cool too!

·
Premium Member
16,219 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
I tend to put the white/red reflective tape on the swingarm, and black reflective tape around the top case and on the rack/mirrors to help make the bike more visible. Unfortunately, I haven't ridden / drove behind the bike to see how effective it is. It lights up like the sun in a camera flash, but that might not be representative. I also remove the lenses on the cases and cover the white paper that is underneath them with white 3M reflective tape. For the cases I purchased, the red lenses on cases are not reflective.

Difference in cases...look at the side cases. One of them is stock...one isn't.

Tape on rack

Side picture with luggage installed

Closeup of the tape on the rack

And don't forget your helmet...

I like the idea of using tape for the wheelrims, but I figure I have enough as it is.

Dave

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm planning on the Admore tailight, and the addition of strategic use of reflective tape is a great idea. Don't have a top case yet.

·
Premium Member
16,219 Posts
Which Givi case is that and is it totally worth the money?

Its a Givi E-55 Topcase. I started off with a Givi V-46 but it wasn't big enough for what i needed.I had that case on 3 different bikes since 2010. Had the Admore Light Kit in it which was nice but after 2 issues with a connecting pin i left the kit off this time. I like the bigger case since i don't like side cases, Took them off as soon as i got the bike home. Is it worth the money for me yes. I put an Admore Light Bar on any bike i get...

IMG_0010 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010448 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
19,617 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
I went for blue LED lights. I put (3) under the seat, (2) inside the gas tank panels, & (2) under the radiator. I think they look great but I can't seem to take a decent picture of it. Cell phone camera's suck at night. Very easy to see and no headlights required to make them shine.

·
Registered
301 Posts
For daytime either a hi-viz jacket or helmet and always ride with high beams on during the day. At night I think it's all about lights and reflective accents. I really don't think people will notice a white or red bike over black if you are wearing something hi-viz.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I also now wear a high-viz jacket and helmet. After getting cut off by an idiot two years ago, I figured my white jacket and helmet weren't loud enough. Our local motorcycle LEOs also wear the high-viz gear, and I've gotten a few comments on the "police" look at the office. If it gets me noticed, it works for me.

·
Super Moderator
19,617 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like what I see from fasteddiecopeman and Pix650. I've got some Kawasaki Green reflective tape coming from Ebay, I'll post pictures when I get it done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Took your recommendation and ordered some from them today. Do they supply an alignment tool?

The decals come on 4 sheets with 6 pre-curved decals per sheet. It requires that you cut the decals out and put them on one-by-one with a very small overlap. The pre-curved shape makes it easy to follow the curve of the wheel as you put them on. As a bonus, it comes with four extra decals just in case you screw up!

I have stands that I had the bike on so I could turn the wheel as I was installing. Also, make sure you clean the rim really well before you try to stick them on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts