Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Versys 650LT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be adding some non-OEM LED running lights and was thinking about wiring them in without a switch. I have installed these same lights on another bike and included a switch, however, I never turn them off unless it is by accident. These are primarily to increase my visibility on the road as the lighting on the V650 is fantastic. They will be run through the OEM relay. Is there a good reason to wire them in with a switch that I'm not thinking of? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
21,685 Posts
I wired mine ('15 V650) thru a switch, JUST IN CASE. For instance IF the stator starts dying....

When THAT happened on my '08 I turned OFF what I could to extend the distance I could go before things went "quiet", and stopped by a work-truck to use their cell phone to call for help.

DSC09845 copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P6061867 2 copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0372 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P1180371 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
2022 Versys 650LT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks gentlemen. In Canada we can leave them on at all times legally so if one of them there fine officers has an issue then it will have to be about something else - lol. Ed, good point about the switch being more of the emergency shut off sort. Is there a website that we can access for OEM part numbers? I picked up the relay today from the dealer that I bought the bike from and I would consider a genuine Kawi switch as it would fit into the knockout in the dash quite nicely. I'm frugal (cheap) with most things but I would definitely consider this. I love everything about the Kawi DRL's except for the price. :)

·
Premium Member
11,180 Posts
How are you powering the relay- source? As to Kawasaki and the relay or switch. Nothing special, the relay is a Omron.

·
Registered
77 Posts
In the last century a friend got a ticket for halogen spot lamps on his H-D, supposedly contrary to the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.
It may have just been an excuse to pull him over, but he got and paid the ticket.
I think depending on the brightness and the aiming, with people coming the other way, I want them switched.

·
Registered
2022 Versys 650LT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be working on this over the weekend and will start with mapping out the wiring. I have the schematic for the Mk.3 to reference and hopefully this will be unchanged for the '22. I am going to try to keep it the same as stock if I can since everything is set up for plug and play if it was the OEM kit (an assumption on my part I know). I'll be including a switch as well now too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts