Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
I know this is yet another exhaust thread but I'm trying to make an informed decision on this so any additional updated insight would be most helpful. Thanks in advance!

I'm contemplating either keeping the my Leo Vince Underbody slip-on or reverting back to stock exhaust on my 2013. I really like the sound of the LV and the bike seems smoother with the slip-on and w/o any additional mods. But I have some concerns. Here's why:
1. Everything I'm reading about after-market slip-on exhaust suggest that, in order for it to perform correctly, one also needs to install a Power Commander V with Autotune. This equates to another $500-600 (as currently the price on ebay).

Question: Is the PCV necessary or will the bike suffer over the long term with the slip-on only?

2. I'm interested in preserving or even improving fuel efficiency if even possible with this mod.

Question: Can this be done with a slip-on with or w/o the PCV? Will this combination ever produce the same mpgs as stock or is that simply not a reality with this mod ever?

3. My local mechanic, who is real good, wants $800 for PCV install (part included), dyno, and mapping and said that the bike benefits significantly from the above service with or w/o the slip-on. He also indicated that the bike might be worse off mechanically over the long run if it is not tuned now that it has the slip-on (running too hot).

Question: Is he giving me sound advice? It this price reasonable?

Thank you again for any insight.

·
Registered
19 Posts
IMHO, ECU setting differ from bike to bike. Some bikes benefit more than other from a PCV. The only way to know for sure is dyno readings before and after.
Good luck

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have the LV underbody without a PC and no plans to get one. I was always under the impression that a PC was only mandatory for full systems. I do not believe any harm will come from my using it without a PC.

That being said, if you want the optimal performance then the PC with a custom tune on the dyno is the way to go.

I have run several bikes over the years with slip on exhausts without PCs and have not had any problems.

·
Premium Member
16,113 Posts
I liked my Yosi for Looks, Sound and Weight Loss. Its does nothing or close to nothing for increased power.The power commander is not needed unless you just want to throw away money.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
stay stock..... the money is not worth it... you will NOT gain mpg just loose them

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
To optimise things for reduced back pressure you will need to adjust the fuel map. No problems caused by not adjusting it though. Less intake pressure with something like a BMC air filter will help too.

The weight saving with a slip on will not be noticeable due to under body position which is at CG position.

Power gain is typically 5-10% with power commander + exhaust at wide open throttle and less at part throttle. Its usually cheaper to trade bikes than to add power with mods.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yeah, I'm with weljo. Slip ons offer little to no performance improvements, but I like the look and the sound. I left the baffle in, so it's not much louder than stock.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
You are trying to herd wild cats in trying to tune an oem efi bike. Torque is where it's at, and you have the best oem setup for that with the Vs. 650. You can spend tens of thousands of dollars and just get higher rpm, hp, db, and mph: a totally unusable bike with the torque lost out the window.

Just take the stupid cap off the exhaust tail pipe and ride!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had the Yoshi muffler and found it loud when you got on the gas. Fine when cruising. I fitted a Dobeck EJK and was very happy with the performance. It's quite common for manufacturers to tune their engines on the lean side to get them passed emission controls. I noticed this at low speed cruising on the Versys. The fuel controller did eliminate this. IMO all engine could benefit from individual tuning, that's if you want to extract the best performance. However, this all comes at a cost. Fuel controller, Dyno time,mapping & additional fuel consumption now that your engine isn't running lean. You will also need a tuner who knows their stuff. If you are anal or doing track days, then go for it. Most people are happy with how the bike comes out of the box.

I have ridden a Versys fitted to the Leo. I think this muffler is the best at getting as close to the original for volume and will recommend that you keep that on. It won't cause any damage to your engine or neighbour relations !

We must also remember that manufactures are not stupid and they spend millions of $ developing their engines. They may run a little lean, running a little hotter than in an ideal world, but they would never compromise the life of the engine. It's a fine balance between performance, fuel efficiency, engine life and country emission requirements. The choice is yours. Some people wash & polish their bikes, some just ride them. Which ever one you make, it won't be wrong. Motorcycles are a personal thing, that's what makes them so interesting.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I have the LeoVince SBK underbody. I have noticed no difference to fuel economy and little if any performance difference. I installed it for the sound when riding at higher revs in the hills and the looks. Oh yeah it weighs heaps less too.

·
Registered
720 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,484 Posts
.... and if you want to farkle up and buy a PowerCommander and Autotune 200... I bought mine at Motomummy as it was cheapest from them at that time - oh and the AUD was a lot higher than now.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Most riders here have regretted switching to an aftermarket can whatever the brand. I'd keep the stocker and just ride the bike and enjoy it. Only the Akropovic retains a catalytic converter, which the bike needs to run right, and it's also good for the environment. Why not do your part? No bike is perfect including the Versys, though it's close. Accept it on its own terms and enjoy it. Change the seat though.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I think I recall reading that the LV underbody was specifically designed for the V to replicate the stock exhaust in terms of performance, back pressure, etc,.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
My Versys had a Two Brothers carbon slip-on mounted when I bought it. I liked the brash sound for about two long rides and then decided it was time to put the stock muffler back on. I tired very quickly listening to the constant roar mile after mile.

My special dynomometer jeans couldn't tell any difference but my ears certainly could. I could even hear myself chuckle and hum about what a good time I was having.

Some folks think loud after market exhausts are worth the price of admission and, given that it's their money, that's pretty OK but I'd rather spend my $$ on things I believe are more worth while for my riding style. Hard cases, windscreen, GPS mount, auxiliary lighting, more comfy saddle come readily to mind. To each his (or her) own.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts