Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in rural Mid-state TN. An Area known for deer & I'm always looking for better lighting to avoid same! I saw an Ad in last month's "MOTORCYLIST" for a 25/25 watt Cree LED H4 unit which will now fit my Versys I as salvaged an 80"s 7" headlamp after destruction of the stock "Cyclops" 2 years ago. 2 questions: U think this modern lamp will an improvement with the old reflector that was designed 4 a halogen bulb? & although this LED unit is fan cooled do you think it will live considering both beams are (ON) on high beam? Cost is $80.00

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Don't have an opinion on your current setup, but more lighting the better. I have the denali LED lights from twisted throttle and they will show up any reflective material as far as the eye can see. Now if I can just get the local deer population to wear those reflective collars I'd be all set.

I do have them pointed a little off to the side to see more if the deer are in proximity to the road so I can slam on the brakes.

·
Premium Member
16,251 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Baja Designs Squadron.
'nuff said

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The only thing that may NOT work out for the LED H4 is the 'point' source location of the light source. It is ideal to consider a point source of light but the true nature of a real lamp is that it is not close to being a point, rather a elongated point. The reflector cup was designed for the standard Halogen H4 to get the right focus beam. If the LED has the same point source location as the Halgoen, then it will work out. Else, there will be unfocused beam and more glare to on-coming traffic.

On better Halogens bulbs, a brighter bulb with the same power rating is achieved with making the light source as small as a point as much as possible. This theory works the same for any, whether it is halogen, LED, incandescence etc...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts