Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another post about the lowering kit, Capt Kirk mentioned the issue about chain slack after the lowering process. Just curious if anyone else who lowered their bikes encountered this and adjusted it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I checked the slack after and it was still within spec. New chain last fall.

·
Premium Member
16,113 Posts
My chain was do for an adjustment when i did mine. After the install it was a touch on the tight side but okay.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yes, I had to loosen mine. It was a little tight for my liking when I bought the bike. Way too tight after installing the lowering kit. No big deal, just loosened it a bit. I like to run my chains on the loose side of the adjustment range. Easy to do. First loosen the axle nut. If you can assume your chain is already properly adjusted, just turn the adjuster nuts the exact same amount on both sides to keep the chain lined up. It won't take much, maybe one full turn of the nut in (towards the front of the bike, to move the wheel forward). Tighten the axle back up before measuring slack, as that will tighten the chain some.

The hash marks aren't the best reference, but they'll do. I find another way to measure. On many of my bikes, I can measure from the axle block to the end of the swingarm. The Versys' swingarm seems to have an edge that makes that a bit difficult, so I used calipers and measured from the axle block to the front part of the cutout area where the axle goes. I have an alignment tool, but it requires a hollow rear axle and hollow point through where the swingarm attaches, which the Versys doesn't have.

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts
...AND if you need to loosen your chain, put a screwdriver thru a rear sprocket tooth at about the 6 o'clock position, then GENTLY turn the wheel CCW till the screwdriver moves to about 7 or 8 o'clock position PULLING the wheel forward. Otherwise it's difficult getting the wheel fully forward..., THEN tighten the axle AFTER REMOVING the screwdriver.

·
Premium Member
16,113 Posts
Yes, I had to loosen mine. It was a little tight for my liking when I bought the bike. Way too tight after installing the lowering kit. No big deal, just loosened it a bit. I like to run my chains on the loose side of the adjustment range. Easy to do. First loosen the axle nut. If you can assume your chain is already properly adjusted, just turn the adjuster nuts the exact same amount on both sides to keep the chain lined up. It won't take much, maybe one full turn of the nut in (towards the front of the bike, to move the wheel forward). Tighten the axle back up before measuring slack, as that will tighten the chain some.

The hash marks aren't the best reference, but they'll do. I find another way to measure. On many of my bikes, I can measure from the axle block to the end of the swingarm. The Versys' swingarm seems to have an edge that makes that a bit difficult, so I used calipers and measured from the axle block to the front part of the cutout area where the axle goes. I have an alignment tool, but it requires a hollow rear axle and hollow point through where the swingarm attaches, which the Versys doesn't have.

Motion Pro Alignment Tool.....

IMG_1728 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
596 Posts
Oh great, another tool I have to buy, LOL! Forgot about that one. There's also another similar one that has a light beam shining down the chain.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just installed mine. Chain is still good to go. Maybe if your chain is on the edge of being too tight it might just push it past to way too tight? Mine is good though.

I really like that lowering link. Design is great. Simple to install and the fit and finish are excellent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts