Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stocker replacements are starting to square off. What should I get? Avon? Continental? Pirelli? Michelin?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I really like the Bridgestone 023's as a pure street tire.

·
Premium Member
16,152 Posts
I like the Michelin PR3's for Hwy,City,Canyon and the Dirt roads i've run across.

·
Registered
59 Posts
street twisties - Dunlop Q2
street traveling - PR 2 or 3 (I like 2's better)

I currently have a conti race attach street on rear and Mich Power One up front.
Heading to the Gap.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I know when I tire of these junk Dunlop's (already squaring slightly with just 1100 miles on them) I'm going to install a set of Conti Motions. Not because they are cheap, but because they just flat out work. I had them on the FJR and they were really smooth, handled the wet better than any other tire I have ever used previously (85 mph in a driving rainstorm without even a hint of hydroplane), and didn't show the slightest bit of wear in the 2500 miles I rode them. FJR's are pretty hard on tires because of their weight and power.

For me and my dirt/gravel riding needs most any ole tire will do. I don't venture out on them unless they are mostly dry. I've single track rode an FJ1200 on Metzeler Comp K's so the V will be a piece of cake.

·
Registered
85 Posts
street twisties - Dunlop Q2
street traveling - PR 2 or 3 (I like 2's better)

I currently have a conti race attach street on rear and Mich Power One up front.
Heading to the Gap.

Why the 2's over the 3's?

I'm looking at getting new tires sometime soon, and want sport tour/dual compound since I do a lot of highway riding on my commute...

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Dunlop RoadSmarts - for sport touring and commuting. I got 7,000 miles on my first set, and 8,000 miles on my second set, and just put on my 3rd set. They work great. Just take it easy the first 100-200 miles to break them in. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Unless you plan on doing alot of offroading, or track days- a good Sport Touring tire is what your looking for.

I use Pirelli Angel ST's- excellent mileage, and unheard of grip... i won't use anything else until they stop making them! Feels like your connected to the road by a rail... i never got the pegs down before i put them on but now i do it regularly and often by accident lol, it's just so fun to go into turns with that much confidence in your tire :thumb:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Unless you plan on doing alot of offroading, or track days- a good Sport Touring tire is what your looking for.

I use Pirelli Angel ST's- excellent mileage, and unheard of grip... i won't use anything else until they stop making them! Feels like your connected to the road by a rail... i never got the pegs down before i put them on but now i do it regularly and often by accident lol, it's just so fun to go into turns with that much confidence in your tire :thumb:
+1. I just had these installed, and they are a huge improvement over the stock tires.

That said, I have to agree with CJBrown on this one...the search function is your friend on this topic. ;)

Dave C

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Conti "road attack 2's" .....Brilliant!

·
Registered
259 Posts
+ 1 on the Pirelli Angel ST. Someone on this forum once said concerning the tire's handling: "it's like telepathy".

Rode 2,000 miles on an Ozark vacation last year. I totally agree with him!

~ Wes

·
Registered
106 Posts
pr3 has too many sipes up front for my taste.
The pr2 held just fine at good speeds.
I'm not sure how the number of sipes affects normal street use except to improve wet weather performance. I've gone through 2 sets of PR2s and I'm working on a second set of PR3s. They're both excellent. The front PR3 on my Honda has 18,000 miles on it and looks good for more.

·
Super Moderator
19,160 Posts
I know when I tire of these junk Dunlop's (already squaring slightly with just 1100 miles on them) I'm going to install a set of Conti Motions. Not because they are cheap, but because they just flat out work....
X 2 - I've got a set of ContiMotions waiting to go on, and I used a set on Big Red, my AZ Versys, before the Tourances. VG tires!

Really? You're starting another tire thread???
Chris, I think the tense is... startED..., not startING...!
:D

1 - 20 of 63 Posts