Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been running the Michelin PR2 for years and like them (14,000 mile out of this set!) but now I think I should consider moving into the 90s and up grade a bit. Anyone run the PR3 and PR4 tires and was there a great difference between them? I've heard the PR4 can have a heavy feel on the Versys, true or not I can't say. I still have about 1,000 miles left on the set I'm running now but they are getting that heavy feel that says time about up guy! So I need to get the new tires ordered soon.

Thanks

PS I know What ANOTHER tire post?!?!
I just want your input as most of you guys are OK.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
No complaints on the PR4s. I have Pirelli Scorpion Trail and Pirelli Diablo Rosso II on the other bikes so I'm not 'xactly stuck on Michelin.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I loved Pilot Powers when they came out. I transitioned to Pilot Roads with the FJR, though I ran a number of different tires on it.

Currently running the Bridgestone Battlax Sport Touring T30 on the V1K. I don't have any wheel weights and used Ride On to balance and seal. They feel great on dry pavement in warm weather, but just about everything nowadays does. Have to wait and see how they handle in the rain and cold. Best thing about Stones is they are usually considerably cheaper than other brands...or at least used to be.

I took the V1K out to play today. Took off the bags and centerstand. Man does this thing romp. As Ronnie McD might say...I'm lovin it! I really need a trip out to the mountains to fully bond with this baby.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
im running pilot power I's on my versys so far im really liking them

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well they look good to me so just ordered a set we'll see how they work out. I'm not stuck on Michelins just I like them, but the savings on the Bridgestones is a good thing right now as I've dropped over $500.00 on gear in the last two weeks. Thanks for the heads up Saddlebag.

Now time to change the oil, filter and flush the old brake fluid out with fresh.

·
Registered
403 Posts
PR4 here. When I first got them, the bike felt like it was on a tightwire made of ice. I was terrified to ride home. Once they were scrubbed, holy smoke! I don't remembe rmy PR2 having that initial scary feeling, but I do remember both sets of tires being really amazing.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
PR4 here. When I first got them, the bike felt like it was on a tightwire made of ice. I was terrified to ride home. Once they were scrubbed, holy smoke! I don't remembe rmy PR2 having that initial scary feeling, but I do remember both sets of tires being really amazing.
I did a trackday up at Mid-Ohio one year just after I had a new set of PPs put on my Duc. I was running with the faster group and they took us out to make sure everyone was up to it. On the top of the track is a big loop called the Horseshoe. It had a great big cement patch. We did a few lapse with one of the instructors and everytime I hit that thing, the damn bike would slide and scare the livin piss outta me. After those intial laps the tires had apparently shed that mold release crap and were fine the rest of the day. That is the only time I've ever noticed a new tire be exceptionally slippery.

On the other end of the spectrum, I had a set of Avon ST tires once that got about 5k miles on them and still had a reasonable amount of tread, but they lost their adhesion as if a switch had been thrown. Those were the scariest tires I've ever used.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Very good video, watched all three parts. Keep an eye on the guy's mirrors and at one point you can see a crash in the background.

A little surprised by the results but I have always like Pirelli tires.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I just mounted PR3s a few weeks ago and really like them so far; but I really haven't had much chance to test the limits of them yet.

* I went with PR3s over PR4s because i understand that the PR4s have slightly harder rubber compound all around which offer longer tire life. But honestly I'd rather replace rubber more often than motorcycles i.e. Tire Life vs My Life... haha

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would've loved to put a PR4 on my rear a couple weeks ago to match my PR4 on the front, but due to short timeline and a lack of foresight, I had to settle for a Battleax T30 as that's what they had in stock. No real opinions as of yet on the T30, but I love the PR4 on the front...

·
Registered
538 Posts
I just ordered a set of Metzeler M7RR for mine. It's a new tire Metzeler has come out with. The reviews are really good for an all round tire leaning towards the sport side. Check them out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've been loyal to Continental for decades.

Had their Road Attacks, Trail Attacks, and TCK80's on my ole R1100GS.

Going to transition my recently acquired 2009 V back to some Conti's soon too.

I tend to be loyal to, and stay with, what has always worked best for me.

That also includes using Dynabeads in all of my tires.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I went from PR2s to PR4s about 8 months ago. Loved the 2's, love the 4s. I ride from -6f to 105f every day of the year, and either set of tires has been most excellent in all kinds of conditions. If one were to ride blindfolded with earplugs on (not a great idea) in the rain they'd be hard pressed to tell it was raining... :thumb:

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well this is Crazy! I ordered the tires Sunday and they are here already. A thumbs up for MotorcycleSuperStore.

I still can't mount them until Saturday though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts