Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Tire question: To plug or not to plug?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  HondaGalToo 
#1 ·
Been riding for 14 years and got my first flat tire today (80mph on the 405 freeway - not fun!). I'm ok - it deflated really quickly but managed to get the bike to the side of the road, tow truck picked me up and took me to the nearest shop. Pics are below. The hole was right in the middle of the tire so I thought I might get away with having it plugged/patched.

The shop refused to do this though saying it's not worth the risk and they avoid it due to liability issues. I've also read that shops won't patch a tire because they make far more money off selling you a new one...

Thought I'd throw this open to my fellow bikers on here and see what you all thought when it comes to flat tires? Replace them regardless - or is patching/plugging ok?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I would have plugged it. I've plugged a few and never had an issue with them put about 8000 miles on a plugged tire. I'm in the Los Angeles area if you want to plug it let me know i have a plugging kit and mini compressor.

#3 ·
#5 · (Edited)
thanks mate - I now have a new rear tire and the shop disposed of the old one so no need for plugging but I checked out the link you posted and found this:

Pocket Tire Plugger plus CO2 Inflation

Does a great job of plugging the tire and comes with mini C02 canisters so you can inflate the tyre once it's plugged. Think I'll nip in and grab this as it's only $50. This morning's episode cost me almost $300....

#6 ·
I have 'plugged' a tire and then ridden on it till it's time to replace, but I DO keep in mind that it's plugged, so checking pressures frequently, watching for problems, etc.

Years ago I rode over some glass on my Bandit. Gave it a VERY slow leak, so I kept a VG watch on that tire's pressures (and appearances), and used it till it was time to replace it.

:cool:

#9 · (Edited)
I've lost count of how many tires I've plugged and never had issues with them. After the plugging I don't give them any special treatment, checking tire pressure should be part of your routine maintenance. I usually check them every time I lube the chain.

On my trips I take this inflator:

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-40001-Motorcycle-Tire-Inflator/dp/B000ET9SB4/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1444399467&sr=1-4&keywords=slime+inflator

And a set of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034--T-Handle-Tire-Plug/dp/B000ET525K/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1444399512&sr=1-1&keywords=slime+plug+kit

Keep in mind that the rubber cement in those tends to dry out, so I always get a new one before a trip.

#11 ·
...The speed rating of the tire no longer applies once plugged.
MY tires have a "Z" rating which refers to a speed rating GREATER than 149 mph, followed by a "W" which clarifies THAT by rating it at 168 mph.

Well-and-good, but I figure that I am rated at one HELLUVA lot less than EITHER, :wink2: and PROBABLY more in line w/ either a "P" or a "Q" rating, while my Vs seem to match the "T" or "U" ratings....

:grin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.