Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buying my first tires for my '15 Versys 650. I've decided to mount them myself with some tire irons and a bead breaker.

So, I'm asking for a sport touring tire recommendation ONLY as it pertains to ease of install, as I know some brands/models are harder mount than others. I'm considering the Michelin PR4, Metzeler Roadtec, Pirelli Angel and the like.

Can anyone share a mounting experience with a particular model of street tire? Any that I should avoid due to install difficulty?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just mounted a Dunlop Sprortmax Q3 on my 2016. It was an easy install with Motion Pro tools and Windex! There is great video on youtube by MC Garage on how to do it. EASY PEASY!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks. I'm hoping for a comment on the Metzelers since to me they perform just as well as the Michelins for less money.

...Continental ContiRoad Attack 2 is another I'm looking at.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Lay them out in the sun for about 20 min. Makes it a lot easier. Be careful with the brake disk, not to bend it. Here is how I do mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks. I'm hoping for a comment on the Metzelers since to me they perform just as well as the Michelins for less money.

...Continental ContiRoad Attack 2 is another I'm looking at.
Metzelers are my favorite also, but they are the most difficult to mount of any tire I have used. Certainly not impossible, but you'll need to know what you are doing to get them on with irons without tearing up the beads. I haven't used irons since I found out about using zip ties.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The M7 RR sounds great, but on my previous bikes I only get 5K miles out of a set of PR4's. I can't imagine how quickly I'd burn through a sport tire.

I'm also concerned about the profile. I like a rounder profile with a more linear lean. These look a egg shaped to make the bike dive into a turn.

EDIT: Jake Wilson has'em for the same price. Based on how the web page is laid out, looks like they're the same company.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
The M7 RR sounds great, but on my previous bikes I only get 5K miles out of a set of PR4's. I can't imagine how quickly I'd burn through a sport tire.

I'm also concerned about the profile. I like a rounder profile with a more linear lean. These look a egg shaped to make the bike dive into a turn.

EDIT: Jake Wilson has'em for the same price. Based on how the web page is laid out, looks like they're the same company.
Yes unfortunately great grip performance comes at a price. Looks like I will get about 2500 miles from the rear and probable around 4500 to 5000 miles from the front.

When I had my FZ09 I tried many different combinations. One that I really liked was a Pilot Power 3 up front and a Pilot Road 4 on the back. Could get around 4500 miles from the pair with both hitting the wear bars about the same time.

With the M7 RR's looks like it's going to be burning off 2 rears to one up front.

The roll into corners with the Metzelers is perfect. They do not dive into the corner. Just a very smooth progression. Feels like a magic carpet ride.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I got the Metzeler Roadtec Z6 (i think) and it was $140 for a set shipped to the house. They do very well, just a little squirrely over painted lines.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I installed Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs. In addition other comments I apply some rubber lube to the bead making the tires a little easier to install. I was going to go with Michelin PR4s but the price for the Dunlops with rebates was too good to pass up.

Happy with the RS IIIs have about 3K miles on them and little signs of wear no flat spot on the rear tire. When I bought the bike in the spring it had 3K miles on it rear time had a noticeable flat spot and the the tire was thread bear by 5,500 miles. Pretty sure I will get at least twice the mileage as compared to the stock tires. The bike feels much more shear footed, I don't ride really aggressively and find these tires meet my needs.

Dunlop has a $100 rebate on a pair until the end of this month. I would but these tires again.
http://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/17D_ProDeal_Service_Rebate_Oct_r1a.pdf

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The biggest headache for me was breaking the bead on the OEM tires. I didn't have a bead-breaker tool, so I used a narrow post-hole shovel. Even jumping on it barely did the trick! Some kind of real bead breaker tool would be my recommendation.

I used tire mounting lube and it made the job easy. I tried soapy water, but that was a failure.

I've mounted tons of bicycle tires and some smaller motorcycle road tires without problems before. The tires on my V are not road sport tires, so perhaps that was a factor in making it more work.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Buying my first tires for my '15 Versys 650. I've decided to mount them myself with some tire irons and a bead breaker.

So, I'm asking for a sport touring tire recommendation ONLY as it pertains to ease of install, as I know some brands/models are harder mount than others. I'm considering the Michelin PR4, Metzeler Roadtec, Pirelli Angel and the like.

Can anyone share a mounting experience with a particular model of street tire? Any that I should avoid due to install difficulty?
I damaged a Metzler Roadtec trying to mount it. Removing tires is easy, spooning on new tires that last little bit is amazingly difficult without risking damaging them. I would suggest removing your wheels and have someone with a motorcycle tire mounting machine do them in the 60 seconds or so it takes to mount a tire with a machine. Paying $20 per tire is worth the grief it saves plus they balance them at this cost. I do all my own maintenance at home but recently sold my tire mounting equipment, IMO, it requires a machine or a really loose tire like a tube mounted bias ply tire. Tight tolerance radials with a stiff wire bead do not mix well with home mounting. BTW a large C clamp works fine as a bead breaker.

I would not expect to see a significant difference in mounting difficulting between brands and models although really cheap tires usually use more flexible and lighter beads.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I damaged a Metzler Roadtec trying to mount it. Removing tires is easy, spooning on new tires that last little bit is amazingly difficult without risking damaging them. I would suggest removing your wheels and have someone with a motorcycle tire mounting machine do them in the 60 seconds or so it takes to mount a tire with a machine. Paying $20 per tire is worth the grief it saves plus they balance them at this cost..
If I could get tires mounted and balanced for $20 a wheel I would toss my tire machine. Unfortunately the shops here are rip off's. $40 per wheel if you take it off the bike, plus one dollar per wheel weight.

Oh yes then there is the additional $20 per wheel if you bring in your own tire that you did not buy from them.

Bunch of Communists.

·
Super Moderator
1,479 Posts
I do my own tyre changes with a Motion Pro Alloy bread breaker and another lever.
I even do my Super Tenere 1200 ADV bike.

LUBE LUBE LUBE
Lube is your friend. I just use some basic tyre lube/paste.
I cut the sides out of old plastic oil containers and use them as rim protectors.
Putting the new tyre on... LUBE LUBE LUBE the bead and the tyre rim
Work the tyre bead over the rim in small sections... dont try and take a bigger bite as it wont work.

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
...LUBE LUBE LUBE
Lube is your friend. I just use some basic tyre lube/paste.
I cut the sides out of old plastic oil containers and use them as rim protectors.
Putting the new tyre on... LUBE LUBE LUBE the bead and the tyre rim
Work the tyre bead over the rim in small sections... dont try and take a bigger bite as it wont work.
I'm w/ Gigitt!

:thumb: - :thumb:

I've used, variously, WD40, tire lube I buy at a tire dealer, and 'soapy' water.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts