Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced a rear Michelin Road 5 this weekend after I tried to ride off on a flat one the other day. Not even 2,500 miles on it too. I found the puncture in the tread about an inch or so off the centerline of the tire, but no nail - just a small slit. When we took the old one off and looked inside, all we found was a pea-sized shard of glass and a couple smaller ones. I'd say it resembled broken car window glass.

Has anyone heard of broken glass getting embedded in a tire and ultimately getting pounded through the tread? That's the only way I can think of, but neither I nor even the tire guy had seen such a thing. Just my luck, I guess.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I found the puncture in the tread about an inch or so off the centerline of the tire, but no nail - just a small slit.
Won't solve your previous problem but had you had Slime in your tire you would have noticed green stuff all over before you tried to ride away. Would have given you an advanced warning.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Won't solve your previous problem but had you had Slime in your tire you would have noticed green stuff all over before you tried to ride away. Would have given you an advanced warning.
It was literally flat. I could tell by the kickstand clearance and confirmed by the TPS and then my eyes. I didn't actually try to ride off. I'd at least kick the tires first.

I'm actually not a fan of slime because I like my tire shop guy and I want him to keep liking me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I worked in the tire business for almost my whole adult life. I’ve seen almost anything puncture a tire. Glass is not uncommon at all.

·
Super Moderator
20,076 Posts
I had a glass-puncture in a rear tire on my Bandit1200 causing a VERY slow leak years ago. I checked the pressure before every ride, and IF it had gone down more than 1psi/day, I would have replaced it. Rode it till time to replace.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts