Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running Avon Distanzias on a 2009 Versys.....About to embark on a trip. Should I go by the recommended tire pressure in the Versys manual or the recommended pressure on the actual tire?? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
670 Posts
there is no recommended tire pressure on the tire. there may be a "MAX pressure" on the tire, meaning max+1 could blow up in your face. or, in my case, a "MAX LOAD" @ Xpsi, which is informative but not directive. the tire mfg has no clue what you're riding. that sticker on your swingarm is directive and is always a good starting place.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yep, what kevrider said.

Whenever possible, I search out the manufacturer's recommended psi. Search Avon's web page for FAQ's or something.

Over the years, I've found its hard to go wrong with a psi of 35 +/- 2psi to suit the environment. The Versys is a light weight, low power bike. Unless you'll be loaded to the max GVW plus, 40psi is high.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again...My Versys will be heavily loaded for an 8-day trip, and again, I have Avon Distaniza's, so I'm figuring 36-front, 38 back.....????

·
Registered
616 Posts
I used to think that was a silly question. Of course you use the bike recommendations over the max sidewall pressure.

But I attended a tire seminar recently and Ron Bowen of Pirelli/Metzeler who knows more about motorcycle tires than I ever will said that on sport touring tires to use max sidewall pressure. Though on his bike he admits to using slightly less (maybe 2 PSI less in front?).

He also attributed a lot of tire failures to being run at too low pressure, and he explained about the operating temp in various parts of the tire, and how it increases at lower pressure.

I've been running my tires with more air since that.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I'll leave the front at 32 if the tire grip show signs of slipping at higher PSI (esp when wet). I'll load up the rear at 38 if carrying a pillion, else 36 on my BT023. They seem to be pretty hard tires (side wall). My fronts are Pirelli Scorpion Trails.

·
Super Moderator
18,983 Posts
Thanks again...My Versys will be heavily loaded for an 8-day trip, and again, I have Avon Distaniza's, so I'm figuring 36-front, 38 back.....????
I'd recommend 36F and 42R. I've run that on ALL my V tires - stock, RoadSmart, ContiMotions, and now - Metzler Tourance. I get GREAT mileage, and, OCCASIONALLY I 'drag' a footpeg....
:topsecret:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts