Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your local shop charging to mount and balance a set of tire? Bringing the wheels in off the bike....??

Local shop (not a dealer) wants $25 per wheel...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
My time is free to me.

Tubeless tires are so easy it's hardly worth mentioning. The hardest part is breaking the bead, and that can be done with a stick of wood cut as a wedge on one end, a breaker tool and hammer, or a kickstand of another bike.

Windex for lube, they pop right on and off, front or back, with a couple of tire irons. If the tire size is matched to the wheel the bead is also cake to seat.

I use a couple of crates for a static balancer which keeps me smooth to over 100mph.

If you've never changed motorcycle tires before and don't want to mess with it, $25 is a fair price.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I got my tires off, and one bead on but could not for the life of me fully mount the tires with spoons. Local shop charged me $20 to finish mounting and balance, said he usually does $20 per wheel..

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so its not outrageous....probably just have them do it to avoid the aggravation factor and the on set of turrets syndrome.

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
It is a fair price if it's done carefully and properly.

I do it all myself too and balance it by hand, but it's not a job for your average Joe.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Cyclegear!

What is your local shop charging to mount and balance a set of tire? Bringing the wheels in off the bike....??

Local shop (not a dealer) wants $25 per wheel...
I think my local cycle gear has the best deal. If you buy them there they will mount and balance for free. Just have to pick them up later. I don't think they do same day.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
with me it's not a question of if I can....I would just spend my time with my kids, wife, dog or riding. been there, done that, now leave it for the kids to do or bug me about advice.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I went to a local shop(not dealer) looking for some new boots. He didnt have what I wanted, but just for fun I asked what he would charge to mount a tire. He told me $30 a tire if I bought from him as well. So I ordered a new michelin, and took the rear rim into see him a few days later. I figured that he jacks up the price, but when I searched online he was within $5 of the cheapest source I could find. When I showed up he told me $30 was for him to take it off the bike as well, so I only had to pay $20.

·
Registered
379 Posts
$85 for one wheel, yes i was pissed, no i won't be going back... $25 is very reasonable

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
448 Posts
If you buy tires from them my local shop (well 25 miles from me local) charges about 32.50 a tire.

Yes I spend a bit more but they can do it faster than I could in my driveway and not having to plan for rain/heat/cold.

If I had a garage/workshop I would so attempt it myself. I'm slowly trying to get back to were I can fricking move without pain so I can start refurbishing my shed to be an outside office/workshop. Somehow in January I managed to jack my lower back so bad that it has been in a constant state of pain until just recently. Now I'm dealing with the weakened muscles and stiffness.

If I can get through the next two days without pain I'm clearing myself for going back to the gym for light conditioning workouts.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Tubeless tires are easy. If you are spending more than an hour doing the whole thing something is very wrong. I guess my time is cheap but if I can save $50 and do it in my garage I'm all over it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I also change mine myself .I have the old harbor-freight tire changer and a nomar bar . It really is not that bad of a job . Between the couple of bikes I have the money saved adds up .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts