Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After returning home I noticed the threads showing on my rear tire. 5,200 miles on the original stock tire. I knew it was ready for replacing but didn't think it was quite that ready! No more riding until I get new rubber on her.

I previously had a vulcan cruiser and replaced the stock tires around 5500 miles worn but not thread bare. Switched to Michelin Commander 2 and got 10k+ miles before tires needed to be replaced.

I am going to try the Dunlop. Roadsmart 3 on the versys which is a direct competitor for the Michelin Pilot. Road 4. Anyone have experience with the dunlop RS3? Reviews I have read so far are favorable. Dunlop has a $60 rebate and the Dunlop RS3 is less expensive to start with so a cost difference of $110 on a pair of tires convinced me to try the RS3.

Curious to know what kind of milage you all are getting out of your tires, make model etc.

JoH

·
Registered
293 Posts
Do a search on this forum. This has been discussed in great detail several times. But I have about 4,000 on my stock Dunlops and I think I have at least another 1,000 in them. When I replace, I'm going with Michelin PR4's.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do a search on this forum. This has been discussed in great detail several times. But I have about 4,000 on my stock Dunlops and I think I have at least another 1,000 in them. When I replace, I'm going with Michelin PR4's.
I am sure this has been reviewed in the past, but there are new tires on the market (like the RS3) so I thought it may be good to get some input on newer tires in the market.

Any specific reason you are going with Michelin PR4? Personally I like Michelin and have not been happy with stock Dunlops but that is perhaps not fair to Dunlop as I suspect manufacturers buy the cheapest tires they can that meet their minimum spec. http://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/RSIII_Charts.jpg

JoH

·
Registered
282 Posts
What about Metzeler Roadtec 01's? I've heard a lot of positive talk about these lately. I have a friend that has them on his BMW RT1200 and has about 7k on them and the rear looked good.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
What about Metzeler Roadtec 01's? I've heard a lot of positive talk about these lately. I have a friend that has them on his BMW RT1200 and has about 7k on them and the rear looked good.
These have not been out long enough for anyone to have completely burned through a set. I have a set at home waiting to be installed. Waiting for my tire valves to arrive from China first. No idea what the mileage is however Metzeler is saying on par or better than other tires in the class. I would assume it would be similar to the Pirelli Angel GT as they are made in the same factory and probably use the same rubber and carcass, and the Angel GT reportedly has a similar life expectancy to the Michelin Pilot Road 4.

I do notice the rubber is softer to the touch than the tires I have on my bike now, that is I can easily push a thumb nail into it, especially off the center line toward the edge.

IME, almost any sport tour tire should perform well in warm and dry conditions. It is in the wet and cold where you see the big differences show themselves.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My stock rear went from flat-spotted but promising another 1K miles to carcass in one hilly country trip. I changed at 4.3K and have 4K more miles on the PR4 rear and am expecting at least another 4K. Front also changed to PR4 at 7.8K. These things are great in the wet. Best wet weather tire I've ever owned. (Thanks forum members!)

Strangely enough the rear feels better healed way over than a normal turn. Of course I mean a normal turn while dialing in a good bit of throttle. I didn't notice until a week or so after they mounted my new front that they had installed the GT version instead of the Touring version. I can't say there are any issues with the mixed tires so I'll keep them.

·
Registered
262 Posts
After returning home I noticed the threads showing on my rear tire. 5,200 miles on the original stock tire. I knew it was ready for replacing but didn't think it was quite that ready!
Yeah, my rear stocker was gone in 5000 miles. I replaced them with Michelin PR4's.

Why did I chose the PR4's?... because I have used the PR3's and PR4's on several bikes and they have been the best performing and longest lasting tires I've ever owned, bar none. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. As long as the PR's continue to give me good service and safety, they'll continue to be my tire of choice.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Just replaced my Continental Conti Motions today. Rear tire to wear bars after 11,000 km. Front still has life but replacing. Poor wet and cold weather grip. Not recommended.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Yeah, my rear stocker was gone in 5000 miles. I replaced them with Michelin PR4's.

Why did I chose the PR4's?... because I have used the PR3's and PR4's on several bikes and they have been the best performing and longest lasting tires I've ever owned, bar none. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. As long as the PR's continue to give me good service and safety, they'll continue to be my tire of choice.
The new Dunlops Road Smarts 3s are supposed to live longer and are bundles cheaper. Got a set in the garage that will be spooned on soon. We'll see.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
If you don't stop riding when it starts raining it is hard to beat the PR4s. Unfortunately, the abundance of rain grooves increases your chances of a puncture. I hadn't had a flat in many years / thousands of miles, and the last two PR4s I had on the rear got punctured. Both of those were on sport touring bikes.

I rarely wear out a tire. I end up replacing them early because I have a trip planned and don't want to get stuck changing a tire on the road. I have had to do it a couple times and both times all I could find in a sport touring tire were contimotions. One of those times I had to ride 250 miles for that contimotion.

I actually liked the shinko ravens on the Versys. Got about 8000 miles out of them and they had decent traction on road, gravel, and rain. But, it all depends how you ride, and where you ride.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Pulled the stock tires off at 4700, majorly squared off from a big road trip. Really enjoying Avon Trailriders after just a few hundred miles with them. Grip is great, initial road noise has gotten better after scrubbing them in.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I ruined my new Metzler rear Roadtec 01 trying to install it. Bent rim bead so it would not seat. I remounted an old Dunlop Roadsmart I had that still had some life left in it. Hoping I can return damaged Metzler. These are hard tires to mount yourself. I could not get beads into well when spooning on which probably was root cause.

·
Super Moderator
19,458 Posts
I ruined my new Metzler rear Roadtec 01 trying to install it. Bent rim bead so it would not seat. I remounted an old Dunlop Roadsmart I had that still had some life left in it. Hoping I can return damaged Metzler. These are hard tires to mount yourself. I could not get beads into well when spooning on which probably was root cause.

One of the BEST tire-installing-removing "tricks" I've learned is to let the rim c/w tire, and the NEW tire, sit in the sunlight so they get HOT (and PLIABLE!) before you try to work w/ them.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One of the BEST tire-installing-removing "tricks" I've learned is to let the rim c/w tire, and the NEW tire, sit in the sunlight so they get HOT (and PLIABLE!) before you try to work w/ them.

+1

My Dunlop Roadsmart 3 tires arrived, rear on waiting for triple tree front stand so I can do the front tire. They are made in Japan. Will report back after I have a little road time on them.

JoH

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Interestingly the OEM Dunlop rear tire with 9200km on it is a big improvement on the Conti Motion. It has a much rounder profile which seem to make the bike feel more secure in turns.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Google "zip tie motorcycle tire change" and you will never damage another tire or wheel. Just use a real tire lube, like RuGlyde from NAPA, and you literally just push the tire onto the wheel. Even those hard to mount Metzelers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Seems kind of like cheating, doesn't it? The only thing I do differently is I use 8 18" heavy duty cable ties, then use a screwdriver to open and remove them. It does cause some wear and tear on the locking mechanism, but I'm coming up on 20 tires changes and I'm on my second set of ties. I use tires irons to take off the old tires, so they probably wouldn't last as long if they were also used to remove the tires.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts

spoons are for ice cream...zip ties or NoMar bars are the answer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts