Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is using the self sticking or clip on weights for DIY tire balancing? Additionally, what kind (Mfr) and where are you getting them at what price? I’m not really interested in Dyna beads or Ride On. :feedback:

·
Registered
203 Posts
The stick on type are all I've used for years and years of mounting my own tires. Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse has them but I get mine locally from auto tire dealers. They use the same type on aluminum mags. Tip; I use 91% alcohol to clean the wheel where I will put the weight. Never had one come off.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I’ve only used stick-ons for a long time now and I’ve never had one come off.

Note that they come in lead and steel... and you can’t cut the steel ones to get the exact weight that you want.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'm using the stick-on type too although I've heard of people not bothering with balancing. I'm going to take the bike for a spin next time before I balance the tires just to see if there's any difference.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I use dynabeads on all my bikes. They work. I've had the versys up to 100 mph and smooth as silk. Just my 2 cents. No guess work, add the beads, pump up the tire and ride.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I tried Dynabeads and didn't like them. The tires shook until they balanced. The guy that re-balanced my tires said he had never heard of anyone having a problem with them. It may have been that my tire was too out of balance for them to work.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
... I've heard of people not bothering with balancing. I'm going to take the bike for a spin next time before I balance the tires just to see if there's any difference.
Some people are luckier than others... I’ve had tires that were dead on... and others that needed over 2oz. of weight...

Even if you don’t feel anything... an unbalanced tire can still cause premature (asymmetrical) tire wear... and it can’t be good for wheel bearings and fork seals, etc. either.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
I balance mine by hand, locating the heavy spot by twisting the greased axle back and forth, and then determine amount of weight needed... I cut the original 20 gram rear clip-on weight, down to about 7 gram for Conti Trail Attack. Front Avon Distanzia only needed a relocation of original 20 gram weight.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
A greased axle has a lot of drag (for the purposes of wheel balancing) that smaller amounts of imbalance won’t overcome.

A decent DIY balancer can be made by using low friction bearings (like those on a skateboard) and lubing them with very lightweight oil (like sewing machine oil).

·
Registered
153 Posts
Dynabeads are great until a piece gets in the valve stem and ruins the seal. It happened to me twice. No thanks. I will take the tried and true stick-on weights.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The heavy point on the rim isn’t always the valve stem, in fact I have yet to have one that was...

I put the rim on the balancer, mark the true heavy point, and then align the tire spot with that.

Although, all the PR2s that I’ve gotten didn’t even have a dot

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
Important to put that yellow dot (lightest point on the tyre) aligned with the valve stem. Helps balance it out or less weights on.
The dot is called VIM or Valve Identification Markings.
IF you're going to do this, FIRST put your bare wheel on the balancer and find out FOR SURE where the heaviest part is, because it USUALLY IS NOT - my experience from checking several wheels - where the valve stem is! (And when I've done this - BEFORE I started using DynaBeads - I mark the heavy point with something fairly permanent.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts