Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the process of doing the valve adjustment and got the cams back in after swapping shims and the cam tensionor back on, but its not picking up slack in the chain, did the zip tie method for when removing the cams, the intake cam had a lot of tension when trying to re-seat it before pulling the exhaust cam. I think this is where I screwed up

to get back into time what do I need to do?

·
Super Moderator
18,968 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can rock the exhaust cam to tension it, but the tensioner wasn't tightening the chain, I know each cylinder was in the appropriate TDC spot when checking the valves. But I wasn't aware you're supposed to be at 2|T for removing the cams?

·
Super Moderator
18,968 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I screwed up, lack of sleep and feeling rushed on this job. I did my ninja 650 with no problems at all, but this one did me in that's for sure.

I've pulled the timing chain and cams again. I want to reconfirm so I'm doing this write to re-install the cams and be in time I need to set the engine to 2|T? and then make sure the marks on the cam sprockets line up with the top of the cylinder head. Any write ups on re-timing when something like this happens?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got It re-timed and figured out. Made a lot more sense after going thru the manual again. I'm a dummy but the bike is happy again! :)

Found one of the coils was cracked, and the throttle body boot had a bolt seize which stripped the nut that was embedded in the plastic, so that made for a fun time removing the airbox because I'm lacking a 12" long Philips head screw driver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts