Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was time to check the valve clearances, so I gathered my tools, set up my workspace (here in July in South Florida, this involves a huge fan under one of those collapsible canopies just outside the garage door), then removed the body panels, the tank (grrr!), airbox, spark plugs and coils, baffle, and the valve cover. Then I went through the process of extricating the valve cover from the bike's frame (grrr! again).

Then I unscrewed the cover over the crank bolt, turned the cams away from each other, measured the gaps, and found that two exhaust valves were tight.

Next step: Peer through the timing hole. And to do that, all I had to do was unscrew the cover over the timing hole.

That's all. Just unscrew that timing cover. No biggie.

No biggie at all.

Except I couldn't do it. I destroyed the slot trying to unscrew that thing. Couldn't get purchase on the edge with pliers.

So I had to put the bike back together without adjusting the valves. I'll order a cover for the timing hole and when I get it, destroy the old one getting it off (taking care not to let aluminum shavings fall into the crankcase).

Has this happened to anyone else?

I'm disappointed that I didn't think of putting a Dremel on it. I didn't think about that until later. I blame a fried brain (we're talking 90-degree heat and 90 percent humidity in my garage).

Let the second-guessing commence!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
To get those kind of cover off I use a washer that fits the slot tightly then grab it with a Crescent wrench.

Now, you don't need to remove that cover to adjust the valves. Turn the crank 'til the arrows on the cam gears line up. I like to mark the cam chain and both sprockets with a paint mark to keep it lined up when the cam is removed to replace shim. You don't really need to remove the cam just tilt it up.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
After destroying more that one plastic cover I bought one of these. It works like a champ and I have yet to even scratch one on my KLR or Versys.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I marred mine good too, While trying with screwdriver. Then I noticed a bottle opener in the toolbox. It has a nice rounded end that fits in the slot. That worked and bottle opener stayed in toolbox. So seeing this thread, I need to order a replacement cover and that timing plug wrench that Time is showing.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
After destroying more that one plastic cover I bought one of these. It works like a champ and I have yet to even scratch one on my KLR or Versys.

Thanks for the photo! Sure pays to have the right tool. Mentally noted for future reference. :thumb:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Liquid Wrench . . .

I had a similar issue with the smaller one. Some creeping oil helped with that. Odd since the engine flows right by it ALL THE TIME. Broad ended screw driver handled that for me.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
*slap to the forehead* Bottle opener! Of course!

After I messed up the slot, I realized that I should have tried a quarter, although even that might be been too narrow. But a bottle opener -- yeah!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts