Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
T-10 Days and counting until my riding buddies and I take off on an 8-day trip to Glacier National Park, Yellowstone and Dinosaur National Monument.

This will be the third trip, and longest, that we are taking in the last 13 months. Also, we have 4 straight days of tent camping planned (2 in Glacier, 2 in Yellowstone). Packing the extra gear for camping was a bit of a chore, but I found a waterproof-ish duffel bag in the garage, dusted it off, and loaded it up with tent, air mattresses, sleeping bag, camping chair and other necessities. It will be strapped to the pillion.

So far the weather outlook is holding steady - nice weather with a possibility of some light showers while we are in Glacier and a day or two after that. Hopefully that won't change, but I'll keep tabs on the forecast before we leave and throw in extra rain gear if needed.

We are cutting it close on being able to ride over Going to the Sun Road. Looks like crews are just about done with the plowing, so I hope they are ready to go on the 21st (22nd at the latest - fingers crossed), or we'll be stuck riding on Highway 2 on the south side of the park.

Here's the overall daily plans. Some long mileage days, but roads look to be in good shape and traffic should be minimal once we are out of the Denver/Ft. Collins area.

miles
Parker to Cody, WY 537
Cody to Helena, MT via Beartooth Pass/Yellowstone 361
Helena to Glacier National Park Area 294
Glacier National Park Touring and Hike 90
Glacier to West Yellowstone, MT 438
Yellowstone National Park Touring 161
West Yellowstone to Vernal, UT via Jackson Hole 418
Vernal, UT to Dinosaur National Park, then home 461

·
Registered
2017 Versys-X 300
72 Posts
Looks like a nice trip! Ride Safe.

·
Registered
2017 V1K
93 Posts
Epic trip. I'm jealous ;)

Reactions: onewizard

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We are not leaving for a week, and I've still got a few more things to round up, but I'm probably 95% complete. Decided to put the duffel bag on the bike and check it out. Sorry for the potato pics - it was pretty dark outside.

Fully loaded, the bag is 33 pounds. With both side panniers loaded, the bike definitely is more top heavy on this trip than either of the other trips and I'll need to remember the weight is there at slow speeds and when stopped. :p On a positive note, the bag fits nicely on the pillion, and does not stick out too much on either side. It provides a nice lower back support - something I'll probably enjoy on some of the longer days in the saddle.

I also have the saddle panniers packed - one side is all clothing and personal effects (including layers for the unknown Montana/Yellowstone weather). The other side is a small tool bag, including plug kit, air compressor, CO2 chain lube, etc., and other small stuff, plus sandals an additional thin rain jacket. The clothing pannier has just about 12 pounds of weight in it, the tool side about 15 pounds.

The only thing left to pack is the top case. I have one more small bag that will have videocam accessories, small laptop, and other things I may need for the day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts