Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddies and I are taking a short three-day trip next week, basically Denver - Taos - Mesa Verde - Telluride - Aspen - Denver. Stops include:
  • Day one includes Bishop's Castle outside of Rye, CO ('old' school stone castle built by a single man over many years. He has passed, but the castle remains open to the public).
  • The Chase Ranch outside of Cimarron, New Mexico (the ranch has a fascinating history, including being run for close to 60 years by by Gretchen Sammis, a direct descendant of the Chase family). One of my riding buddies spent quite a bit of time there in his youth, his mom's family had a nearby ranch). It is now owned by a foundation that maintains the historic buildings and ranch. The Boy Scout's Philmont Ranch is next door, and they have an agreement to manage the buildings and outreach programs. Unfortunately, the buildings won't be open when we stop by, so we will just wander around a bit...
  • Spend the night in Taos, and get an early start on Day Two.
  • Day Two includes riding through Durango to Mesa Verde - the Forest Service has reduced services in the park, one of the larger loop routes with dwellings is closed for road repairs (since spring!!). Some other guided tour dwellings are also closed. Disappointing, so we'll probably visit Chevy Chase-style, and just do a quick ride through and grab some pics where we can.
  • Current plan has us through Mesa Verde around 3PM, so we'll keep riding up through Telluride and do a quick visit to Bridal Veil Falls. A very scenic waterfall in a very scenic location. Unfortunately, the Telluride Wine Festival is the same weekend, so no rooms under $600 could be found, so we will push another 50 miles to Montrose
  • Spend the night in Montrose.
  • Day three is a scenic ride back to Denver - via Aspen and Independence Pass.
All told, a three-day, 1200 mile loop. Weather looks perfect, aspens should be starting to turn, and there shouldn't be too much traffic during the weekdays.

Will post some updates and pics along the way.

Map World Line Atlas Parallel

·
Registered
142 Posts
Looks great!! man I wish I lived where I did not have to ride 1200 miles just to get to that good stuff....... I do it. but means I need a week minimum.... no cool 3 days trips like you are doing. I love Telluride. Get a burger and milkshake at Steamies Burger Bar. really good........ Steamies Burger Bar

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Day one is in the books, had a great time at Bishop's Castle outside of Pueblo Colorado, and also really enjoyed the ride around kuchara Pass between walsenburg and Trinidad. Beautiful country - great road for the motorcycles.
Sky Tree Facade House Landscape

The old Walsenberg power plant
Sky Plant Wheel Vehicle Building

Tire Wheel Sky Plant Vehicle
Plant Sky Natural landscape Font Grassland

Vietnam vets memorial outside of Eagles Nest, NM:
Wheel Tire Sky Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Day two in the books. 453 miles. Stops at the Rio grande canyon bridge, the earthship biotecture (think weird commune people), Chama to see the train, a complete tour through Mesa Verde, and some late evening (or total darkness, as some might call it) miles to get to Montrose. Tons of cool roads!

Sky Cloud Ecoregion Mountain Highland
Cloud Sky Water Bedrock Natural landscape
Sky Tire Cloud Wheel Vehicle
Train Sky Vehicle Rolling stock Track

Train Sky Rolling stock Vehicle Track
Cloud Sky Blue Sculpture Wood
Sky Plant Mountain Bedrock Natural landscape
Plant community Cloud Plant Natural landscape Sky
Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Ecoregion

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts
I would NOT want to climb that set of steps in "pic 2"....

Great write-up!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would NOT want to climb that set of steps in "pic 2"....

Great write-up!
Lol. Steep, but sturdy. In the middle of the picture, you can see a caged dome. That is at least 35-40 feet off the ground, on top of one of the turrets. My buddy climbed into that, and said the whole thing was swaying every time he shifted his body weight.

Those walkways around the outside are all made with what looks like 1/2" square wrought iron and expanded steel. the structure was incorporated into the cement walls as he built the castle. Seemed like not nearly enough structural integrity to support my fat ass, and it was a little unnerving walking around on it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Day three wrap up. 345 miles. Only significant stops were the ghost town of Independence and Buena Vista for lunch at the House Rock Kitchen. Aspen trees are definitely starting to turn!!

This trip was a blast, with perfect weather and great sights along the way. Just a shade over 1,200 miles in total.
Sky Plant Plant community Mountain Ecoregion
Sky Mountain Plant Natural landscape Larch
Sky Plant Plant community Mountain Natural landscape

·
Registered
Versys 650
21 Posts
That looks fantastic :D I wish we had trails and scenery like that here in Norway.

Camping outdoors? or do you perfer comfort camping (hotels/cabins) like me he he..

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We stayed in basis hotels both nights, primarily because it's so much easier to pack and go in the morning. On our longer trip we took in June, we camped out most of the nights.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts