Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I recently had a 16 tooth undampened front output sprocket put in my V at the dealer. I mentioned the noise issue that is well documented here and the dealer said it may make some noise, but that it probably wouldn't be that bad. At install, the dealer said that my chain had a lot of slack in it and he tightened it up a bit.

I rode the V home and didn't hear anything untoward the first ride, but as soon as i put my taller windscreen on, i heard what sounded like a rhythmic scrubbing coming from the front. I assumed this was the noise from the sprocket and decided to keep an eye (ear) on it during my trip south to Florida. Having arrived in Florida, I decided that the noise was too annoying and made plans to have the stock 15 put back on at a dealer here. At the switch over, the dealer said I had a "tight spot" in my chain but that nothing looked out of place and swapped the sprocket for half hour labor. However, after doing this, I am still hearing the rhythmic noise. I asked the FL dealer who explained that the noise was probably due to the tight spot in the chain.

I was wondering for those of you that heard the sprocket noise, what did it sound like? Also, has anyone experienced the "tight chain noise"? My bike has about 16000 miles on it and the chain has been lubed often, though less frequently when riding up in VA during the winter. I just want my smooth running/sounding V back! Any input will be appreciated!

Mitch

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
Your chain tension varies as it reciprocates. You just need a new chain and sprockets, preferably including a dampened countershaft sprocket.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
The OEM 15 or 16 tooth sprocket has a very thick collar where it goes over the splines. The inexpensive sprockets are very thin by comparison. If the dealer did not bush the new sprocket than it has to be out of line with the rear. I'd take the sprocket cover off and inspect for bushings. If none are present it may not be too late. I've seen pics on this site of CS sprockets with metal chewed off their sides.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I also have about 16k miles on my bike and I've been hearing the rythmic chain noise for a long time. Although I generally only hear it on the freeway when I'm next to the jersey wall.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I also think you likely need a new chain and sprockets. I know some of the guys here on the forum have gone 25k miles on a single chain, but FWIW, I've replaced my chain/sprockets almost every 13-14k miles, though I could have been a tad more fastidious on the lubing. I used to lube every 300-500 miles, now about every 300 miles, and I still find the chain/sprockets stretching and wearing toward the end of that interval.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts