Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rode BIG RED down to Tucson on Saturday via I-10, about 100 miles, and TYPICAL for an "interstate" - not much fun! Took an hour and 46 minutes to get to my friends' place there, to go to the Airshow w/ them in their car. Traffic was awful, then once we got parked it was PROBABLY another half hour of walking, but once inside - some NICE displays, including a Ferrari done up in USN colors....

Something I've NEVER seen before - a WW2 Japanese ZERO flying! I had thought that there weren't any flying ones, but they did a three airplane "fight" using a B-25 Mitchel bomber (same ones used in the Doolittle Raid on Tokyo in 1942), a USN F6F Hellcat fighter and the ZERO - until the ZERO started 'blowing smoke', indicating it'd been shot by the Hellcat and then they joined-up in a three-plane formation and did several fly-bys.

Beside demonstrating the new F-35 fighter and the F-22 separately, then they had a four-plane adding the A-10 Warthog and an F-86 Sabre jet (these were known as the Sword in the RCAF, and my ONLY regret in 37 years of flying was that I missed the chance to fly the Sword by ONE course in the RCAF!), doing several flypasts.

So - w/out further ado - my pics - HOPE you like them!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
"until the ZERO started 'blowing smoke',"

Don't you mean Chem trail?

The USAF reserve did a ballistic takeoff for us once, when I was in flight school. That was weird and cool.

I love air shows. Always something cool to drool on. Castle Air Museum is not far from me here. I should go again.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Love that final pic.

Lightning, Raptor, Warthog, and the venerable Sabre.

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"until the ZERO started 'blowing smoke',"

Don't you mean Chem trail?....
That's what it IS, but from my RCAF flying - we always called it 'blowing smoke', and I believe it comes from 'injecting' oil into the exhaust.

;)

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Great Pic.

Did not realize the F22 is quite a bit larger than the F35.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts