Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just finished setting the valves on my 2008. Yeah, it only had 14k miles but I did have 3 exhaust valves between .18 and .20 so I am glad I violated common wisdom and checked them anyway.
So my next step it Balancing the throttle bodies. Since everything was already off, I turned the tank around and broke out the manometer. I got everything hooked up and warmed up the engine. My throttle bodies are about 20- 30 mm apart. Once I located the adjusting screws, I noticed that they were all the way in. So I started loosening them up. the overall RPM went up but there was very little effect on the manometer difference. No amount of adjustment would put them at the same height. Any suggestions?

Some of the problem could be my manometer. It is an old Motion Pro 4 column Mercury unit. Columns 1,2 and 3 work,but I can't get any movement on 4. So I am using columns 1 and 2. I notice that I am getting air gaps in the columns of mercury. Is that indicative of anything? I am wondering if I might be low on mercury?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Randy

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
Well, I just finished setting the valves on my 2008. Yeah, it only had 14k miles but I did have 3 exhaust valves between .18 and .20 so I am glad I violated common wisdom and checked them anyway.
So my next step it Balancing the throttle bodies. Since everything was already off, I turned the tank around and broke out the manometer. I got everything hooked up and warmed up the engine. My throttle bodies are about 20- 30 mm apart. Once I located the adjusting screws, I noticed that they were all the way in. So I started loosening them up. the overall RPM went up but there was very little effect on the manometer difference. No amount of adjustment would put them at the same height. Any suggestions?

Some of the problem could be my manometer. It is an old Motion Pro 4 column Mercury unit. Columns 1,2 and 3 work,but I can't get any movement on 4. So I am using columns 1 and 2. I notice that I am getting air gaps in the columns of mercury. Is that indicative of anything? I am wondering if I might be low on mercury?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Randy
I have done 2 bikes, my 07 Versys and now my 2015, it has been stated else ware that if the sync is out, you should do a valve shim first. What I have found both times doing my valve shim, was the sync was bang on after the valve shim. The following thread discusses the fact one screw is all the way in, most times it is the clutch side TB. The gauges I purchased was on recommendation by others on this site, the difference between 2 channel and 4 channel wasn't much so I got the 4 channel.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/74-how-forum/121410-throttle-body-sync-modifications.html

I brought my capped vacuum lines out permanently.

Looking lower right you will see the vacuum couplers attached to my gauge lines.The red tape is cylinder #2 and yellow is #1

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did shim the valves and they're now in spec. Now ,I am following up with the throttle body balance and am having problems with that adjustment.

·
Registered
259 Posts
check to make sure you can lower the idle with the idle adjustment knob. I have seen guys close one of the throttle blades, bringing the vacuum up on that cylinder, but it wedges the throttle shaft off the idle stop adjustment. if you have done that, you need to back out the sync adjusting screws until the throttle adjustment works and then re-adjust, maintaining final control with the idle adjustment screw.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys, I got it figured out.
Randy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts