Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My break in miles are going up on my new bike and I'm heading to 600 miles. I'm a DIY'er. Have been for a very long time. I know the first scheduled service for the bike is at 600 miles. I'm debating whether to just change the oil myself or to take it to the local dealer. Their price at the local dealer is $150 to do the oil change and look over the bike and do whatever else they do for a 600 mile service. I can change the oil for $23 - $9 for the filter and $14 for the oil. Pros and cons of either one? Thoughts?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Do it yourself. The factory oil filter might be difficult to unscrew - I used a C-clamp to crush the filter and get it started...but you probably know what you're doing.

I also suggest reading the manual regarding adding oil. It is easy to overfill.

While on the subject of oil, the OM specifies motorcycle oil that meets certain specifications. Some folks on this board have different opinions.

·
Registered
88 Posts
DIY ! Change oil & filter,check chain slack, lube chain ,check all screws & bolts. On my V 650 I’m not going to take it to Dealer until time for the third service....

·
Super Moderator
18,968 Posts
DIY ! Change oil & filter,check chain slack, lube chain ,check all screws & bolts. On my V 650 I’m not going to take it to Dealer until time for the third service....
And KEEP the receipt showing that it's the warranty required stuff, at least UNTIL your warranty is over.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I regret not doing it myself. I also thought that it would something more thorough/professional. In the end I think I probably would have done a better job, and they also charged a crazy amount of money!
In my opinion the checks are more important at a later stage, when more difficult issues emerge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts