Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking maybe of fitting an aftermarket exhaust but I HATE the smell of catless exhausts. Wondering maybe if it's not an issue on the V650? Thanks.

·
Registered
800 Posts
What? No way. The catalyst removes noxious exhaust fumes. It's like a richion exhaust smell.
it removes them by burning them and creating a lot of heat in the process; that is smell too. anyway, you can get an aftermarket exhaust with a small cat inside. i have Leo Vince in my V650 that came with a small CAT. but I preferred to take it out; too much heat, and I like to keep things simple. there no much 'noxious' fumes in the modern bikes. They run so lean, Euro 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 100. these people pretend to care about environment while poisoning us in all other ways imaginable or unimaginable, like the ethanol scam. soon, we will run the bikes on air, by pushing them:). Feel lucky to be the last generation to feel the smell of a real gasoline :). but if you really hate the gasoline smell, keeping the ugly oem exhaust is probably the best option.

·
Premium Member
8,059 Posts
When I ride the exhaust is behind me and I don't get to smell the fumes, though mine is a Yoshimura without Cat. But i do smell all the fumes from the traffic in front of me.:unsure:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
if you really hate the gasoline smell, keeping the ugly oem exhaust is probably the best option.
In your opinion, Kris. Personally, I like the look of the stock exhaust and have yet to see an aftermarket offering that looks like it belongs on the V.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I ride the exhaust is behind me and I don't get to smell the fumes, though mine is a Yoshimura without Cat. But i do smell all the fumes from the traffic in front of me.:unsure:
So do you smell it at idle when at a stop light or something?

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
I love the smell XD ... I feeel like a BAD BOY =P. Full titanium exhaust no neighborhood cat in my pipe. Sometime some company use packing grease if you left it on there you have to wait till it burns off.
Racing Line (Titanium)
S-K6R7-HT

This is the pipe I got without cat, has cat if anyone want one. (2015 Versys 650)
Kawasaki Ninja 650 2015 Racing Line (Titanium) - Akrapovič Motorcycle Exhaust (akrapovic.com)
that is a great looking pipe. the problem is that akra does not fit with the new generations V650, i mean if you install main stand or skid plate. I love Akra, but the leo vincie fits better; and both they are cheaper and smaller.

·
Registered
115 Posts
that is a great looking pipe. the problem is that akra does not fit with the new generations V650, i mean if you install main stand or skid plate. I love Akra, but the leo vincie fits better; and both they are cheaper and smaller.
I don't have center stand or skid plate for anyone want to use my pipe. Oh it fits just need some know how. There is especial Akra now for new gen.

·
Premium Member
8,059 Posts
As long as you don't get white smoke or excessive black smoke you are safe. enjoy your ride and be safe.🍻

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As long as you don't get white smoke or excessive black smoke you are safe. enjoy your ride and be safe.🍻
For sure yeah I just don't like the way it seeps into my riding gear and then I walk into work stinking like catless exhaust. I'm just sensitive to it I guess.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I did not notice any smell before, but now that I pay attention, there is some smell indeed. but me too, I like it. and the smell in this particular bike is very little. if that bothers anyone, fitting a small CAT can be a solution. Now the aftermarket companies are obliged to provide a small CAT to keep it legal. Some don't do that, but if you live in a country where the police control is very strict, you can show a proof that your exhaust is up to the euro norms. I know for a fact that in Germany, you cannot even change the handlebars without having permission, crazy...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah and I wouldn't mind it if I didn't commute on the bike.
if you are bothered by the smell of a catless bike you will definitely notice a smell if you change. back when i used to commute here is california i would lane split miles at a time on the freeway. if there was a catless moto in front of me i could tell way before I could see i because the smell is so strong. All these (probably old guys) saying "what smell?" are probably just so used to decades of riding catless bikes that they can't tell anymore.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if you are bothered by the smell of a catless bike you will definitely notice a smell if you change. back when i used to commute here is california i would lane split miles at a time on the freeway. if there was a catless moto in front of me i could tell way before I could see i because the smell is so strong. All these (probably old guys) saying "what smell?" are probably just so used to decades of riding catless bikes that they can't tell anymore.
Thank you for confirming. I might have to look into the catted Mivv system or the catted Akrapovic. Also considering opening the muffler box and modifying the stock exhaust while leaving the cat alone.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts