Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all just wanted to say thanks to David (SIYEH) for being good to his word and giving me first shot at the bike, which I took him up on immediately!

On his original post I stated that I'd love to buy the bike as I had a new one in 1968 and still had the original license plate.
Fast forward to this week when me & momma loaded up in Tennessee to make a round trip to Wisconsin to buy the lil Honda. We swung over into Iowa to check out the shop of American Pickers and lo & behold they had a metal flake red open face helmet with a dark bubble shield.......just like I wore riding my old Honda, so I bought it!

Got home late Thursday night, went to the courthouse Friday morning and registered my S65 and they let me use my old license plate......too cool!

I'm a happy guy with a big old grin everytime I peep into the garage to check out my new ride.

David even knocked off a hundred bucks from our agreed price when I paid him. Great guy for sure and one cool dude!

Thanks again David for putting to rest that old myth that you can't go back.

Dan

Here she is at her new home........Don't look for it on Ebay or Craigslist as its gonna be with me 'til my sons inherit it!! :)

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
How very cool is that! I have since wondered where some of my past machines have ended up. It would be nice to find them or at least the same years. This is definitely living your younger days again!! :thumb:

·
Registered
852 Posts
The whole story is amazing. Just getting the bike would be cool but finding the same helmet and reusing your old plate takes it to another level.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
:thumb:Got to love when things come together like that, so cool.

·
Registered
162 Posts
NICE!!!!!!:thumb:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Great story & I like the American Pickers angle, I remember that model bike well.

My helmet was like that except blue metal flake to match my blue Kawasaki Coyote. :)

BTW I met you son the other day at the shop, good man.

Best,

Sam

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Blipco,
Those were just the black patent leather shoes that were "in style" back in the day. :)

Thumper,
Yeah we met the tatoo'd girl Danielle, she was a hoot!
Below is a shot of me & her.

Sam,
Glad you got to meet Zack. Give me a shout when you wanna go for a ride.

Thanks folks for the great comments..........I sure feel lucky & fortunate to get the bike.

Dan

·
Registered
501 Posts
I've been on a long bike trip, and just saw this post. Dan it was a pleasure meeting you and your lovely bride. I am glad the lil Honda went to a good home. I put 200 miles on it in my short period of ownership and like I told you in my driveway, if it cruised just 10 mph faster I would not have sold her,,,, Oh well.

For the record? The money you paid for it is safely stashed in a secret savings account. I promise you it will get spent in The Yukon and the Great State of Alaska in June/July 2011. On fuel. It's all good,,,,,,

So long lil Honda!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hey Dan? I just noticed in your pic from 1968? Where are your mirrors?:nono:

Did you do a stoppie and break them off? Or perhaps a low hanging tree branch? Perhaps a clothesline????

We (or I) need to know!!

david

:D:D

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
David,

Great to hear from you, hope you and your son had a great trip!

I found out back in the day if I left the mirrors off I could almost max the speedo out at 60mph !! 'Course I'm kidding.

I remember that picture was taken just after unloading the bike (no license plate) and I'm guessing that we removed the mirrors to tie the bike down in the truck..........didn't have Ancra's back then. :)

Thanks again my new friend, I'm loving the Honda!

Dan

·
Registered
501 Posts
Dan, we had a great ride. 1300 miles in Northern Wisconsin and The U.P. of Michigan. Son Josh rides a Magna so Dad kept to the paved roads for the most part. We sampled a beer or three sometimes at at local pub sometimes around our campfire.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
David,

I too cherish any time that I ride with my sons, glad you guys had a good trip.

I like the way your rim stripes are glowing around the campfire!

Dan

·
Registered
764 Posts
Wow, great story and I love watching American pickers, Always hoping their finding motorcycle stuff and that Danielle is a cutie. Thought I would add a picture of my project a Ducati 250 Scrambler/Chopper and a picture in my garage that gives me inspiration. I hope to build into a cafe racer.

Donn:cheers:

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts