Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I joined, earlier this week, in order to research a purchase.
I appreciate the Members and knowledge!
Thank you!

My motorcycling history, years and ages approximate.

1973 10 Tecumseh 5hp mini bike around the neighborhood.

1974 11 Honda Trail 50 to ride at the camp on the bayou.

1976 13 Kawasaki Enduro to ride around the neighborhood, in the woods and at the levy of Lake Pontchartrain.

1980 17 Kawasaki KZ 400 to ride everywhere.

1985 22 Kawasaki Ninja 600. Wife bought it for me as a wedding gift.

1986 23 traded wrecked 600 Ninja for Yamaha RZ350 (red, white & blue, not yellow & black) two stroke. That bike was exciting (ie, scared the crap out of me). In case you're curious, I was drunk and stoned, wheelie-ing through a stop sign and T-boned a Datsun Z car on the Ninja.

1987 24 joined the Navy and the RZ350 was sold while I was in boot camp.

1988 25 shared a Honda Shadow (500?) with a buddy, for commuting to the base. We had overnight duty on opposing days.

1989 no motorcycles...

2020 57 wife passed away in January. In April I was telling coworker how bad life stinks. He put his hand on my shoulder and said solemnly, "you need a motorcycle". Two weeks later I bought a 2008 Yamaha FZ6.

2020 57 got 2013 Honda Shadow Spirit, less than 2 months after buying the FZ6. I'm too old for that riding position.

I don't ever recall doing anything to get a motorcycle license. Maybe it was no big deal. Maybe I never did.
Now, as a mature and responsible adult, I had to pay for and compete two different courses of instruction, in order to obtain a motorcycle endorsement, but I feel like I know much, much more about riding, than I every did.

The Shadow didn't have the legs for the freeway. It could do it, but with only 5 gears, it wasn't happy.
Enter the 2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000. I'm really digging it! It's very easy to ride!
It got brand new tires, the day I bought it.
I've put over 300 miles on it in 3 days.

·
Super Moderator
19,913 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,258 Posts
Welcome..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sorry about your wife man. I lost my wife in January of 18. I didn’t know where to go or what to do so I just stood in the damn middle of the road until a beautiful 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+ picked me up. It will never replace my wingman but I am sure at peace when I’m riding.
Welcome from St. Louis!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome! I'm new here myself AND the same age. I'm sorry about your wife, she must have been something special, I can't image many buying their new husbands a Ninja. I like your new ride and the color. I had a Z28 that I painted a very similar color (in my 20's).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome! I'm new here myself AND the same age. I'm sorry about your wife, she must have been something special, I can't image many buying their new husbands a Ninja. I like your new ride and the color. I had a Z28 that I painted a very similar color (in my 20's).
Thanks! And thanks, to all for the welcomes and condolences!
She was an absolute joy! When we were dating, I had a 1978 Z28, blue, 4 speed, big cam, big carb, angle plug heads. It was pretty fast for a daily.

I'm loving the V1! It's a blast and if it all goes terribly wrong, I get to see her!
WIN - WIN!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW, I managed to get brand new Kawasaki pannier trim panels. No more fade.

Reactions: Craigar

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks! And thanks, to all for the welcomes and condolences!
She was an absolute joy! When we were dating, I had a 1978 Z28, blue, 4 speed, big cam, big carb, angle plug heads. It was pretty fast for a daily.

I'm loving the V1! It's a blast and if it all goes terribly wrong, I get to see her!
WIN - WIN!
My Z28 was a 78 too! I had an automatic though. Edelbrock Performer manifold, Holly 650, CAI before it was cool, and a Competition Cam. I miss that car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts