Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my way to work this morning and was traveling one of my normal routes. Took US321 into SC and stopped at the "HOTSPOT" for gas. $3.49 a gallon for premium:thumb:. Once I finished filling up my tank, I check my trip meter and as usual...250 miles even on the tank with some to spare. It's normally better, but I have wanted to play some. I put on my gloves and helmet, checked the time 5:17am, and got on the country road that leads me to HWY 49 toward the Catawba River. As I was speeding up and listening to the music of the TBR, after rounding a curve I noticed something strange. 2 beedy eyes were looking at me dead on. Low and behold, for the first time since I began driving down that road (2 years) Bambi and friends finally decided to come out and play. A doe was caught in my headlight, and several more were standing on the side of the road. It was dark, but I know I saw at least three more. As the pucker factor began kicking in, I could feel the seat slowly being sucked up into my backside. My knees began clamping down on the gas tank like I was riding a bull. I said outloud to myself, "S!!!, this is going to hurt"! I let off the throttle, and began to swerve, not knowing if more were gonna come running. The headlight turned away from her and she darted off the road. I wasn't sure if I was clear yet, so I slowed to a crawl and looked around. Safe to say, I was clear. Luckily, there was no oncoming traffic. Lesson learned? Deer are not cute and they go where they want. So when it's dark outside, don't be an idiot and ride like it's not. Next time it may not be a deer. Next time there may be oncoming traffic. Next time, I will ride a little more intelligently. Oh yea, and there is always a next time....Hopefully...not just the last time.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Good advice! I saw a you tube vidieo about a motorcycle rider that hit a ground hog Going very fast and when he did it flipped the bike over; end over end. And that was just a small animal. I have seen the damage a deer can do to a car. Hate to think what it would do to a motorcycle. Glad your ok and keep it safe don't over drive your head lights people.:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts