Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I'm from NW Wisconsin and I'm giving some serious thought to getting an X300. I was set on the Honda CB500x, but I like the spoke wheels, light weight, and look of the Versys. One of the other main reasons is that I found a dealer who has one for crazy cheap about 4 hours from me (I think they're going out of business). My only hesitation is the power. Right now I ride a 1975 kz400 most of the time (I ride my fully-faired 1981 gl500 when it's chilly out). I wonder how the power will be compared to the 400cc bike. That's enough power for me and I would even just keep it, but it's just not reliable enough. I mostly explore the back roads in my area and once and a while I commute to work (30 miles each way).

One problem I'm having is that I can't seem to find one to look at anywhere. No one seems to have one on hand to sit on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The VX300 has a smidge more power - with it being fuel injected and water cooled, you won't have to worry about much for a long time :thumb:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hi there. I'm from NW Wisconsin and I'm giving some serious thought to getting an X300. I was set on the Honda CB500x, but I like the spoke wheels, light weight, and look of the Versys. One of the other main reasons is that I found a dealer who has one for crazy cheap about 4 hours from me (I think they're going out of business). My only hesitation is the power. Right now I ride a 1975 kz400 most of the time (I ride my fully-faired 1981 gl500 when it's chilly out). I wonder how the power will be compared to the 400cc bike. That's enough power for me and I would even just keep it, but it's just not reliable enough. I mostly explore the back roads in my area and once and a while I commute to work (30 miles each way).

One problem I'm having is that I can't seem to find one to look at anywhere. No one seems to have one on hand to sit on.
I had a Honda CB500X very nice bike but right now the difference between them price out the door in my area is over $2000 as I said the 500X is nice but not $2000 worth-plus the 300X comes with a rear hugger- rear rack- radiator cover all things that the 500X needs

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm very curious about the performance of the vx300 vs. the CB500. Are you missing the extra hp? I can get a brand new 2017 Versys 300 for $3595 so it's really tempting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I had a Honda CB500X very nice bike but right now the difference between them price out the door in my area is over $2000 as I said the 500X is nice but not $2000 worth-plus the 300X comes with a rear hugger- rear rack- radiator cover all things that the 500X needs
5 minutes ago · #6
I'm very curious about the performance of the vx300 vs. the CB500. Are you missing the extra hp? I can get a brand new 2017 Versys 300 for $3595 so it's really tempting.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I came off an Africa Twin to get my 300x, and the initial ride was a huge "what have I done?" moment. However, after I got used to the power up higher in the rev's of the 300x, I didn't miss the twin. The africa twin is a boat compared to the lightness of the 300x, it literally felt like I was getting on a bicycle the first time I rode it. But I was surprised at the little 300's ability to pull, even when going up a steep hill I don't have to downshift to maintain speed. I had a WR250X a few bikes ago, and the 300x is pretty much everything I wish that bike could have been. I didn't do any serious offroading, so as a commuter and light adventurer I wished for a bigger fuel tank, wind protection, and cargo capacity. The 300x fulfilled all these on a bike that is still light and fun to ride. At the prices these are going for, they're an absolute steal.

·
Super Moderator
19,152 Posts
:welcome: aboard!

The V 300 has about the same horsepower as my '62 Triumph Thunderbird 650 and '79 Yamaha SR500 - 30 HP - and they worked PDG for me....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I came off an Africa Twin to get my 300x, and the initial ride was a huge "what have I done?" moment. However, after I got used to the power up higher in the rev's of the 300x, I didn't miss the twin. The africa twin is a boat compared to the lightness of the 300x, it literally felt like I was getting on a bicycle the first time I rode it. But I was surprised at the little 300's ability to pull, even when going up a steep hill I don't have to downshift to maintain speed. I had a WR250X a few bikes ago, and the 300x is pretty much everything I wish that bike could have been. I didn't do any serious offroading, so as a commuter and light adventurer I wished for a bigger fuel tank, wind protection, and cargo capacity. The 300x fulfilled all these on a bike that is still light and fun to ride. At the prices these are going for, they're an absolute steal.
That's encouraging to hear. You can't make much more of a leap down in cc's than that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only other bike I've ever bought new and the biggest bike I ever had was a Honda Shadow 750. According to the interwebs, the shadow will do 0-60 in about 7 seconds and the X300 will do it in about 6 seconds. Pretty impressive for well under half the displacement.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Never said I rode one--but over a lot of years I have rode a lot of bikes and can tell how a bike is going to ride by looking at the spec's-so I think the 300x is going to be a lighter handling- forks/shocks the same- brakes the same -300x slimmer fit around the gas tank the 500X is going to have more low end for sure but the 300x will rev quicker and 0 to 60 mph times should be with in 1 second of each other-top end who cares-over all I think you will not miss the power and look at the price a 2017 500X $6600

1 - 13 of 13 Posts